Help with an elder CPU

Tom Griffin

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
My socket 370 fan has died again; I have tried to replace it with a hack from the rat shack twice. How is the easiest way to remove the heat sink from a PIII/933 that has been baked for ten years? (My wife wants me to remove the box fan) and please do not say upgrade.

Solution

The easiest way to remove a stuck-on heatsink is to start the computer up and run something like Prime95 that loads the CPU up to 100%, and let that run for a good 15-20 minutes or so to get the thermal grease warm. Then shut down the computer, pop the heatsink clips loose, and remove the heatsink with a gentle twisting motion until the heatsink separates from the CPU.

The easiest way to remove a stuck-on heatsink is to start the computer up and run something like Prime95 that loads the CPU up to 100%, and let that run for a good 15-20 minutes or so to get the thermal grease warm. Then shut down the computer, pop the heatsink clips loose, and remove the heatsink with a gentle twisting motion until the heatsink separates from the CPU.

Solution

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
LOL, last time that happened to me I accidently ripped that AthlonX2-5200 still attached to the heatsync right out of the socket while running to "Heat it up"

Considering the age of the machine, I would not play around with it too much... be handy and throw in any random fan...

Or check to see if the cpu can stay below 60 strictly on heatsync...

(I got a P3-700 running 24/7 with only a tiny poor excuse of a heatsync...) Must admit tho that it's a RouterOS on a mini Compaq so not much work on it... but it's pretty cool

BTW, people often sell full towers with celeron d's 2.6 for less then 100... I got one for 70 CAD and an Athlon64 3500 for 100.... both with 1gig ram.... so... UPGRADE ! :p