Question Help with an HP Pavilion

Apr 23, 2020
I recently inherited an HP Pavilion from my grandfather. The sticker on the computer said it was model 595-p0074, i5 8400, 12gb ram. I haven't built a computer in about 20yrs but i figured i could take out the cpu, ram, and drives to make a decent gaming pc. When i opened it today i found one stick of 8gb ram and an amd ryzen 3. . Im assuming my grandfather was taken advantage of? It's never been opened since he bought it. Can i still make a decent gaming computer with this cpu? Thanks

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
It would be impossible to say specifically that he got taken advantage of.

HP makes a Ryzen 3 rig with an RX560 IIRC in that exact case. Thoughts "could" be that someone swapped a sticker, pulled a swifty.
Just the same, I know that you can mount an R5 1600 into that with little issue. You have to use the stock fan because of the wonky off standard mount they used. Be watchful about RAM selection, I had a hard time getting a couple of sticks to work. It's a Promontory BIOS and sort of picky that way. Add an SSD and it's a totally serviceable little machine.

Apr 23, 2020
The psu can handle a graphics card?
It would be impossible to say specifically that he got taken advantage of.

HP makes a Ryzen 3 rig with an RX560 IIRC in that exact case. Thoughts "could" be that someone swapped a sticker, pulled a swifty.
Just the same, I know that you can mount an R5 1600 into that with little issue. You have to use the stock fan because of the wonky off standard mount they used. Be watchful about RAM selection, I had a hard time getting a couple of sticks to work. It's a Promontory BIOS and sort of picky that way. Add an SSD and it's a totally serviceable little machine.

The stock psu is adequate if i add a graphics card? Also upgrade the R3 to R5? Thank you.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The psu can handle a graphics card?

The stock psu is adequate if i add a graphics card? Also upgrade the R3 to R5? Thank you.

It's already got some manner of low power graphics card in it. The Ryzen 3 has no iGPU. I recall it being a 560.
I know the stock PSU will support the (original) Ryzen 5 1600, and whatever card came in it. I would not upgrade the card without that as a consideration and would also verify that the motherboard uses standard plugs or not.

Apr 23, 2020
It's already got some manner of low power graphics card in it. The Ryzen 3 has no iGPU. I recall it being a 560.
I know the stock PSU will support the (original) Ryzen 5 1600, and whatever card came in it. I would not upgrade the card without that as a consideration and would also verify that the motherboard uses standard plugs or not.

There's no card in it.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I wasn't aware that HP was making one with the APU in it. Have you tried to boot it?

Edit, it looks like HP is selling one with the R3 2200G
I have no experience with that specific model but would make similar assumptions about it taking the R5. I absolutely would not trust the PSU.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I don't recall that it will without modding the case. Even at that I don't think a full sized GPU will fit. I am not sure I would move forward on trying to create a gamer out of this one. Given it's new selling price of right near $400 on Amazon I am sure you could sell it local for a bit less. What you currently have in it leaves lots of wiggle room.