Help with an old HDD

mick.93

Honorable
Sep 18, 2017
Hi,

I'm trying to get my old Hitachi 5200rpm 1tb HDD working.

It won't show up on My PC.
It shows up on Device Manager.
It won't show up on Disk Fragment/Optimize Drives.

I have tried numerous Sata cables and can assure wires are in correctly, I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from 7 and had same issue on there.

My other drives are a 120GB SSD (OS) and a 7200rpm Seagate Barricuda.

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Are you trying to access the data on this drive or just set it up as a fresh new drive?

Can you post a screenshot of the drives listed in Disk Management?

My initial guess is that the drive is not partitioned and formatted, thus has no file system to mount or it is partitioned and formatted with a file system not supported by windows. The Disk Management screenshot should help narrow this down.

DR_Luke

Honorable
Dec 1, 2016
Are you trying to access the data on this drive or just set it up as a fresh new drive?

Can you post a screenshot of the drives listed in Disk Management?

My initial guess is that the drive is not partitioned and formatted, thus has no file system to mount or it is partitioned and formatted with a file system not supported by windows. The Disk Management screenshot should help narrow this down.

Solution

mick.93

Honorable
Sep 18, 2017

I fixed it earlier myself, I forgot to update thread but yea, I had to format the System Reserved (D:) drive in Disk Management and then it shows up in partitions. I was reluctant to do so before because I thought it was related to my OS on my SSD.

Thanks for the response anyway.