Help with an overheating P4

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Hi this is my first post, ima computer systems manager for a large construction company.

Anyways, im running a prescott 3.0GHz on a Stock HSF.

At first i used the TIM that came in the box with my processor (the white stuff) and i noticed that my cpu would idle in the 60's C and top out about 70C. and when i inspected the cpu with the HS off the thermal paste looked like cement and it had only been on for a couple weeks! so i switched to some arctic silver 5 and reseated the stock HSF. now it idles around 38*C and doesnt get above 50*C at full load. you should be aiming for temps around these or lower with a northy. even tho you followed the directions for the HSF sometimes it takes a couple tries to get it perfectly seated. so if its running hot, try try again.

bweir

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Yeah, sounds like an overheated P4. I would remount the heatsink, but clean it (and the processor heat shield as well) with the purest running alcohol possible (>90%), and be sure to use a lintless wipe to remove the old paste (will probably ruin the cloth, but oh well). Lens cloth's work well, the type used to clean glasses and CD's. Also, a utility knife razor blade will work well for spreading the thermal paste over the CPU heatshield, just don't get any inside of the pins on the bottom of the CPU. Use only a rice-grain sized drop of paste and spread it evenly. It helps to prep the heatsink as well, but don't spread it over the whole surface on that piece. Simply put a rice sized drop on the heatsink, and use the cloth to "polish" it onto the surface until it can't be seen. it will fill in the microscopic gaps and ridges on the H/S and make it more efficient when pressing against the top of the CPU.

good luck...

tmoneygetpaid

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Yes, your system is overheating. When was the last time you cleaned out all the dust?
Your fan on the heatsink is getting old. I have seen quite a few of the northwoodc hsfs on sale lately. They should fit your board, and cost about $10. They will get your temps into the 30c-35c range on idle, mid 40s at load. A good investment.

yeah, that's unlikely with a cooler at that cost. I have a prescott 3.2ghz with a zalman 7700cu, and with the fan at max. voltage (12v), it idles at 35, 58 at load. I guess the prescotts run hotter, though.

Anyway, the higher the % of alcohol, the better-- water is a conductor and doesn't evaporate. less % alcohol=more % water= more potential for conductivity and damage. Go for 99.9%, which might be harder to find, but safer... So there is a diff. between that cd cleaner stuff and the higher percentage isopropyls.

madden95

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Hey guys thanks. I applied the arctic silver and found that the rubbing alcohol worked like a charm (91% Alcohol). Everything went very smooth and I've learned something new. Anywho, it's just a matter of waiting a week or so for it to get going fully. These boards have been great.

Again, thanks all.

shyh

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
it sound like the CPU gets a little overheated but i'm not sure that
over heating is the resone for the freeze.
:idea: did u check the voltage, most of the time a faulty power supplier can cause most of these problems. You can try and install a system monitor with logger to check for extreme voltage and temp. levels