Help with analog capture options

I have had a heck of a time figuring out the best way to capture analog
video. I purchased a ADS Instant DVD 2.0 and have had terrible problems
with audio sync issues. I tried contacting tech support with no return
emails. I now have three days to decide whther or not to keep the unit or
return it for exchange. I don't want to keep it, but need to know your
opinion on a few things. My digital camcorder has analog pass through.
Should I just use this method to capture the video (is the quality as good
as a dedicated unit - audio sync an issue with this method?) If this method
is ok, I can reutrn it and get some more memory with the store credit. If I
trade it in for another unit, the only other one they have is the adaptec
videoh! media center usb 2.0 edition. Anyone have experience with this
unit? TIA

Specs

Intel P4 3 ghz, 800 fsb
asus p4p800
radeon 9600 pro
768mb ram
2 hard drives - system drive is 120gb WD, storage drive 200gb WD SATA drive

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

If you are just capturing a few things and have plenty of hard drive space,
I'd probably take the ADS unit back and use your camcorder for capture.
Points to consider...
1. You'll capture in high quality (DV), it's easy to edit and you can render
to any format you want.
2. It will be slower to complete a project using DV because you have to
render after the capture.

It all depends on what you are or will want to do. Capturing with a
Camcorder can be cumbersome especially if you want to do timer recordings. A
dedicated capture card or box can be easier to work with and timer
recordings will be easy. Video quality can suffer when capturing to MPG on
the fly.

Good Luck
UB

"Vivid Maniac" <ebeck88nospam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> I have had a heck of a time figuring out the best way to capture analog
> video. I purchased a ADS Instant DVD 2.0 and have had terrible problems
> with audio sync issues. I tried contacting tech support with no return
> emails. I now have three days to decide whther or not to keep the unit or
> return it for exchange. I don't want to keep it, but need to know your
> opinion on a few things. My digital camcorder has analog pass through.
> Should I just use this method to capture the video (is the quality as good
> as a dedicated unit - audio sync an issue with this method?) If this
method
> is ok, I can reutrn it and get some more memory with the store credit. If
> trade it in for another unit, the only other one they have is the adaptec
> videoh! media center usb 2.0 edition. Anyone have experience with this
> unit? TIA
>
> Specs
>
> Intel P4 3 ghz, 800 fsb
> asus p4p800
> radeon 9600 pro
> 768mb ram
> 2 hard drives - system drive is 120gb WD, storage drive 200gb WD SATA
drive

Thanks for the reply - I am returning the unit and am going to do it with
the camcorder. I bought a 200gb SATA hard drive just for captured files, so
I might as well make use of the space, and time isn't that huge of a
concern. I'll just invest the money in some more memory

TRENDING THREADS