Help with ASUS motherboard

cam198

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
I just put my computer together and whenever I turn the computer on; it passes through the bios splash screen, then on the next screen, it shows that there are no hard drives detected. After that, it restarts itself then detects my hard drive and fully boots up. I've been having the hardest time trying to figure out whats causing this. Every time I start it up, it has this problem.
Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!

SYSTEM SPECS

ASUS Sabretooth 990fx motherboard

AMD FX6100 processor

2X EVGA Geforce GTX 260's

4X 4gb sticks of Team Elite RAM

Kingwin LZ-1000 1000watt power supply (bronze certified)

400GB Seagate Barracuda Hard drive

ASUS DVD drive

AZZA Solano 1000R computer case

cam198

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

It is set to whatever the defaults are in the bios. The problem is that it won't let me into the bios till it has detected my hard drive. I don't think its a problem with the hard drive because it was working perfectly when I last used it. I had to return my last mobo cause it was defective so I just recently bought the ASUS Sabretooth with my refunded money. And I have been having this problem ever since I assembled the components with the new motherboard.

cam198

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
I never had this problem with my last motherboard I used which was a Asrock 970 Extreme4. I had to return it cause the onboard audio stopped working after a week of using the computer.

Once in the BIOS, save the settings (usually by pressing F10) and that should resolve your issue.

cam198

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

i apologize; i dont quite understand what you suggest i do in the bios before i save it with f10. could you explain?

cam198

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

sweet! thanks. ill try it out when i get home from work and I'll let you know if that works.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
I see absolutely nothing wrong with the way that your system is booting. The behavior of the screen flashing is normal because, in your video, it looks like your hard drive is connected to the JMicron controller. The JMicron Controller is an add-on SATA II (<-NOT a typo) controller that supplements the SATA III controller that is built in to the 990FX Chipset. You only need to use it to add extra drives in case you have more than six total SATA Drives.

Disconnect the Hard drive from the SATA3G_E1(Black) connector and move it over to the SATA6G_1(Brown) connector. Don't worry that the HDD is not a SATA III device, it will work. SATA III is backward compatible with SATA II devices.

Here are a couple of other things you can do in BIOS to make it easier to setup.

1.) When the BIOS Screen first loads Select the "Exit/Advanced Mode" Button and choose "Advanced mode".

2.) In advanced BIOS program under the BOOT menu, Disable the "Full Screen Logo" item. This will get rid of the full screen logo that covers up the initial boot screen.

3.) In advanced BIOS program under the BOOT menu, Set the "Setup Mode" to Advanced. This will cause the BIOS program to load in advanced mode by default.

4.) In the Advanced Menu select "Onboard Devices Configuration" and then Disable the following devices (unless you are actually using them)

Via 1394 Controller (AKA IEEE 1394 or Firewire)
JMB Storage Controller (AKA SATA II or SATA 3Gbps)
Select "Serial Port Configuration and then set "Serial Port" to disabled.

None of those devices is actually needed in the vast majority of current systems.

cam198

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

Thanks a ton! It worked!