Question Help with attempting to repair a broken USB flash drive ?

Jul 20, 2021
Hi,
I've got a USB flash drive (LJDV10-32G-000-112) with controller AU6998SN and memory chip marked PFF28-I0AL I708 that is no longer detected by the computer. I asked a technician and he told me that something in the electronics is dead; to confirm this, the LED on it doesn't light up anymore. I'd like to recover the data, but I'd like not to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars; which is why I thought of attempting it myself, as a learning experience. While I care about the data inside, it's not important enough to spend lots of money on. Looking around it seems my best shot is to remove the memory chip from the lash drive and to move it onto another exact same model. I've also found this website that seems to offer files for I assume the PC-3000 software, to interpret data read directly from the memory chip. I've also thought that maybe it's just an electronic component like a diode that died, and I can just replace that to get everything working.
What's my best shot to recover the data in that chip? What do I need to get to transfer the memory chip from that flash drive to another one? Is it just pointless to try to recover data like this or do I have a chance?
Thank you.

Jul 20, 2021
have you tried more than one pc? it could be the pc that can't see it, usb might be okay
I've tried multiple PCs, the USB has also been analyzed by a technician with tools to detect dead USBs, it really seems like it's something with the hardware.
It might be useful to note, to help locating the issue, that the USB started not being detected on Windows systems a while ago. Since it worked perfectly fine on Linux and Chrome OS, I assumed it was just something with the driver. The USB isn't even detected in the Disk Management app.

Colif

Win 11 Master
does it still work in linux?

if so, can't you just copy the files off it in there and just buy a new 32gb USB stick as they aren't that expensive. Sounds cheaper than trying to recover them in an os that can't see them.

should be tools that let you clone the data. even if they can't read the files

Jul 20, 2021
does it still work in linux?

if so, can't you just copy the files off it in there and just buy a new 32gb USB stick as they aren't that expensive. Sounds cheaper than trying to recover them in an os that can't see them.

should be tools that let you clone the data. even if they can't read the files
It stopped working anywhere, it's completely not recognised, nothing gets to or from the USB.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I'd like to recover the data, but I'd like not to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars; which is why I thought of attempting it myself, as a learning experience

I think your learning experience is going to be always have your data backed up.

Edit. But good luck I hate to see people loosing their data.

Jul 20, 2021
I think your learning experience is going to be always have your data backed up.

Edit. But good luck I hate to see people loosing their data.
Yeah, I learned that already with my SSD dying. Now I have clone disks set up for both of my storage devices in my computer, and I was about to back up the files of that USB when I discovered it died.