[SOLVED] Help with Blank Monitor

sony555

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015
Hi, I am having issues where my monitor goes all black/no signal and trying to figure out what might be the cause/failure.

The blank screen happens every time i put the computer to sleep/restart/power on. The issue started when I was waking it up.
The computer makes all the normal sounds, it beeps once (normal) then chimes 'welcome to windows'. About 30% I am lucky enough to see the BIOS screen.
So far, if I turn off my power supply (flick the switch in the back) everything comes back as normal until I turn off my computer for the night. I wonder if it is a hardware issue of some kind.

I have:
-checked cables, changed monitor
-reset BIOS
-plugged monitor from graphics card to motherboard on-board graphics **sometimes it works, but if I restart it stops working, via motherboard graphics
-went to safe mode, re-installed drivers
-took out graphics card, put it back in

I am not sure where to go from here!

My Specs:
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz 31 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (10-10-10-30)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. H97-PLUS (SOCKET 1150) 28 °C
Graphics
ASUS VP228 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (MSI) 29 °C

Power Supply 500W (EVGA brand 500W)

Okay, unplugged everything, put everything back excepts graphics card.
I can get signal via motherboard graphics on HDMI cable, when i switch over to the graphics card, still no signal/blank screen (I have made sure BIOS starts up using PCIE when i switched to graphics card)

I am feeling it is a hardware issue, either motherboard, graphics card or power supply, I don't have spares of any to test out.
Any ideas which one I should aim to replace?

Thanks!

Last edited:

MisterMeow

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
So it's an older system. What brand of power supply are you using? The really cheap, no-names may not even support your system even if it says it does. Especially if it's getting towards the end of its lifespan.

Did you completely uninstall the gtx 660 from your system when you tried the onboard graphics display? Unplug the pci power cables and pull the card from it's pcie lane.

sony555

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015
Hi
I have an older desktop computer where I get no signal/black screen when it is plugged into the graphics card, but I CAN get visual signal when connected to the motherboard graphics. This happened very suddenly and have not changed any hardware that might of caused it.

After some troubleshooting, I am feeling it is some sort of hardware failure, my choices seem to be PSU, motherboard or graphics card.
I am wondering if someone can give me some suggestions/opinions where to start.

Troubleshooting:
-swapped out monitor/cables, removed/re-inserted graphics card (and disconnected from PSU), used a different PCIe slot, removed/re-inserted RAM, told bios to use PCIe on boot up then switched back to auto to use mobo. graphics, cleared bios.

I used DDU to uninstall drivers, but when I re-install the driver it "cannot detect compatible hardware"
CPU-Z and device manager both cannot detect the graphics card
When booting up windows via mobo.graphics, the screen blinks black just after log in (did not happen before), screen saver gives an error message "a compatible 3d video card is required", the taskbar colours are different shade of blue than before.
Unfortunately I don't have a spare graphics card to test out, but I am open to suggestions. Thanks.

Windows 7 64-bit
MSI GeForce gtx 660 (not overclocked)
Asus H97-PLUS motherboard
EVGA 500W psu