[SOLVED] Help with broken fan

Blazingbee98

Reputable
Feb 11, 2017
Hello all.

So today I noticed that the case fan(?) behind my CPU cooler has stopped spinning. Here is a picture of the fan that is no longer spinning from the back of my PC: View: https://i.imgur.com/a0b9MIt.jpg

And here is a picture of where it would be from the side of my PC: View: https://i.imgur.com/zap6WzN.jpg

Currently, my CPU is running at around 55C while idle. My system is prebuilt, so I'm not as familiar with the inside. Here's a picture of the temps: View: https://i.imgur.com/Ii7WcNA.png

Then I decided to go into the BIOS setting, and this is what I see: View: https://i.imgur.com/PN2iklj.jpg

Is the fact that there are 4 fans at 0 RPM mean that there are 4 other dead fans? I didn't even know there were 4 fans in my PC, if that's the case (and I don't know where they are).

Some specs:
CPU: i7 6700k
CPU fan: Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro CARBON ATX

Should I be concerned and replace that fan? How would I go about removing the CPU cooler in front of it, if so? Any other help would be appreciated as I'm currently very concerned and confused right now.

Solution
You'll want to get a new fan, 120mm. The screws are on the back of the case and go through to the radiator. Be careful with the radiator. You don't want to damage any of the fins. They are extremely easy to bend. So, don't let them bump anything. Hold onto the radiator when unscrewing to keep it from falling.

There are cheaper fans which will work. I'm linking the Noctua NF-F12 PWM since it is a really nice well made fan. Any fan you get needs to be high static pressure. Due to restricted airflow from the radiator.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/b2vRsY/noctua-nf-f12-pwm-5497-cfm-120-mm-fan-nf-f12-pwm

Make sure you install in the right direction. You'll notice an arrow on the side of the fan indicating direction of flow. It...

Bongert

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020
The other fans showing 0 RPM just means there are none installed but i can see at least one more fan in the front. Maybe its not plugged in at all.
If the fans don't run anymore you should buy replacements. They don't last forever so it will happen to any fan eventually.
To disassemble it, you need to remove four screws on the back outside of the case for the fan itself and the radiator that's mounted on the fan should also have four screws in each corner. Unplug the fan and install your new one.

You'll want to get a new fan, 120mm. The screws are on the back of the case and go through to the radiator. Be careful with the radiator. You don't want to damage any of the fins. They are extremely easy to bend. So, don't let them bump anything. Hold onto the radiator when unscrewing to keep it from falling.

There are cheaper fans which will work. I'm linking the Noctua NF-F12 PWM since it is a really nice well made fan. Any fan you get needs to be high static pressure. Due to restricted airflow from the radiator.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/b2vRsY/noctua-nf-f12-pwm-5497-cfm-120-mm-fan-nf-f12-pwm

Make sure you install in the right direction. You'll notice an arrow on the side of the fan indicating direction of flow. It should point out the rear of the case.

Solution

Blazingbee98

Reputable
Feb 11, 2017
The other fans showing 0 RPM just means there are none installed but i can see at least one more fan in the front. Maybe its not plugged in at all.
If the fans don't run anymore you should buy replacements. They don't last forever so it will happen to any fan eventually.
To disassemble it, you need to remove four screws on the back outside of the case for the fan itself and the radiator that's mounted on the fan should also have four screws in each corner. Unplug the fan and install your new one.
Thanks for the quick response. So is the one fan that is working the liquid cooler? Or would that not be listed there at all? And do you think I should have more fans in my case in general? My other temps are fine I think.

Bongert

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020
I never owned a water cooled system but i think whatever is showing as CPU 1 in the BIOS should be the pump.

The amount of fans should be fine. You can keep an eye on the temperature readings of the HardwareMonitor and decide if you maybe want more fans, but i don't think that's necessary here.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
The minimum value on hwmonitor of avg 50c is totally unacceptable as it should be around 35c. Your peak temps are fine tho but I have no idea if you have played a game while the app is running or your just in your desktop. That is not a good setup to squash the Rad fan with a exhaust fan. Which direction is the fan spinning on the Rad? Hopefully not into the case. The Rad fan should be placed in front of the Rad not next to the exhaust fan. Then of course the exhaust fan blow all the hot air out. As far as showing zero rpm that is because there is no fan connected to the pin of the motherboard. What kind of temps are you getting with a stress test or while playing games and what not?

Blazingbee98

Reputable
Feb 11, 2017
The minimum value on hwmonitor of avg 50c is totally unacceptable as it should be around 35c. Your peak temps are fine tho but I have no idea if you have played a game while the app is running or your just in your desktop. That is not a good setup to squash the Rad fan with a exhaust fan. Which direction is the fan spinning on the Rad? Hopefully not into the case. The Rad fan should be placed in front of the Rad not next to the exhaust fan. Then of course the exhaust fan blow all the hot air out. As far as showing zero rpm that is because there is no fan connected to the pin of the motherboard. What kind of temps are you getting with a stress test or while playing games and what not?
I believe it spinned in the correct direction, back when it did spin. Can you explain what you mean by in front of the radiator fan? And I haven't done a stress test since I was afraid something bad will happen since the temp is higher than normal with the fan not working anymore. It used to be 30c before.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
I believe it spinned in the correct direction, back when it did spin. Can you explain what you mean by in front of the radiator fan? And I haven't done a stress test since I was afraid something bad will happen since the temp is higher than normal with the fan not working anymore. It used to be 30c before.
Yes temps are high with very low cpu cores utilization. You have your RAD in the rear do you have a Rad fan on it then also the exhaust fan blowing hot air out?

Blazingbee98

Reputable
Feb 11, 2017
Yes temps are high with very low cpu cores utilization. You have your RAD in the rear do you have a Rad fan on it then also the exhaust fan blowing hot air out?
I have a liquid cooler for the CPU with the exhaust fan blowing hot hair out (which is a broken fan atm), and also one case fan in the front of the PC.
I never owned a water cooled system but i think whatever is showing as CPU 1 in the BIOS should be the pump.

The amount of fans should be fine. You can keep an eye on the temperature readings of the HardwareMonitor and decide if you maybe want more fans, but i don't think that's necessary here.
I have determined that the two case fans I have are connected to the power supply, which explains why they didn’t show up in bios. The one fan that showed up in bios is the cpu liquid cooler.

TRENDING THREADS