Dec 25, 2019
Machine specs:

i7-8700 processor
Gigabyte B360M DS3H motherboard
MSI Radeon RX580 8Gb
HyperX 16Gb DDR4
One Kingston SSD and two HDDs
Gigabyte P650B 650W PSU
Hannever Evolution v9 CPU Case with 4 120mm fans, three in the front one in the back

Windows 10 64bit

I am suffering BSODs (the error message varies, sometimes it's IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, sometimes KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE, sometimes others too) when playing some specific games, for example Superhot or Subnautica. I can't seem to play more than 10 or 15 minutes of superhot without a bsod, Subnautica 30 to 60 minutes. On the other hand I can play GTAV with almost max settings for several hours without any problems.

It's not overheating, since I've been monitoring temps and the GPU temp wasn't above 60 celsius when it crashed.

Running memtest86 found no problems with my RAM.

I've read several accounts of other people with the RX580 having similar stability issues. I've tried updating drivers, erasing them with a driver removal utility and reinstalling, underclocking and undervolting the GPU, changing the clock stages in the GPU config to make it switch less, and adding TDRLevel and TDRDelay registry keys to tweak the OS response (that last change made the computer simply reboot without BSOD), all to no avail. The GPU has the latest BIOS installed, I already confirmed that.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me think of what else to try before giving up on this machine (I don't have another GPU available right now to try swapping it, but I'll try whenever I get my hands on one). I've read that my symptoms could be caused by not having a big enough PSU, but all I can find points to 650W being more than enough for my machine.

Thanks for any help that you can give me, I'm at my wits end trying to debug this!