[SOLVED] Help with Build $1500-$1600

Hypoltan

Prominent
Feb 14, 2019
This is my first gaming rig, trying to optimize it to bring the best performance possible but kept under $1600, preferably all the way down to $1500 but whatever. As a novice in PC building, I am wondering if there is anyone out there with advice on picking the best parts. After literally 3 months of extensive research, this is what I have come up with but there is still a lot of room for improvement. Also, as I live in HK prices are different, some components I will get locally and some from Newegg.
Questions I still have are choosing a good cheap SSD (under $80) preferably nvme. I am still wondering what case would be best, currently deciding between the listed enthoo pro m and also the nzxt h500. Case fans are still new to me and I would like cheap ones, lighting on them would be nice but thermals are first priority and I will change them depending on the case I get.

Thanks! All input is appreciated.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor | $260.00
CPU Cooler | Noctua - NH-D14 64.95 CFM CPU Cooler | $68.80
Motherboard | Gigabyte - Z390 GAMING X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard | $151.00
Memory | \*GeIL - EVO SPEAR 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory | $79.99 @ Newegg
Storage | HP - EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | $67.01
Video Card | Zotac - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB AMP Extreme Video Card | $523.00
Case | Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case | $86.00
Power Supply | BitFenix - Whisper M 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply | $90.00
Case Fan | Corsair - Air Series White 2 pack 52.19 CFM 120mm Fan | $21.15
Monitor | AOC - G2590FX 24.5" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor | $226.00
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $1572.95
| \*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria |
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-25 09:34 EDT-0400 |

Solution
This build is pretty good. In theory there's nothing crucial that needs to be changed. Although if you want my opinion, this is how I would have done it:

1. HP aren't the biggest SSD manufacturer's so I wouldn't be comfortable buying an SSD for them. For a similar price, you're better off with a Samsung 860 EVO, Kingston A400, ADATA SU800, or Crucial MX500.

2. Try to match the Mobo and GPU brand if you're picky about RGB syncing up.

3. I would rather get a BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 at that price range (comparable performance but better looking and slightly quieter).

4. Not a big fan of the case. The reason I'm saying this is because you could get much better value cases at the price. Such as the NZXT H500, Fractal Desgin Meshify C (Best...

Hypoltan

Prominent
Feb 14, 2019
You sure you don't want to go with a Ryzen build? Your build is fine, unless you can give us a link to access for all parts according to your location/region.
I was thinking about that too, any benchmarks I can look at to make that decision? Because I'm going for 1080p 144hz, clock speed will be very important.

EDIT: There seems to be a noticeable difference on this website: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3407-intel-i5-9600k-cpu-review-vs-2700-2600-8700k

Last edited:
This build is pretty good. In theory there's nothing crucial that needs to be changed. Although if you want my opinion, this is how I would have done it:

1. HP aren't the biggest SSD manufacturer's so I wouldn't be comfortable buying an SSD for them. For a similar price, you're better off with a Samsung 860 EVO, Kingston A400, ADATA SU800, or Crucial MX500.

3. I would rather get a BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 at that price range (comparable performance but better looking and slightly quieter).

4. Not a big fan of the case. The reason I'm saying this is because you could get much better value cases at the price. Such as the NZXT H500, Fractal Desgin Meshify C (Best of Air Cooling), Phanteks P350X or P400.

Reactions: Hypoltan
Solution

Hypoltan

Prominent
Feb 14, 2019

4. Not a big fan of the case. The reason I'm saying this is because you could get much better value cases at the price. Such as the NZXT H500, Fractal Desgin Meshify C (Best of Air Cooling), Phanteks P350X or P400.
Thank you so much for telling me this, let me try to address it one by one.
Yes, I recently realized the importance of reliability in ssd, now I'm probably gonna go with the mx500.
As a novice it is still hard to visualize, but does syncing RGB make a big difference? Becuase gigabyte 2070s are quite a bit more.
Dark rock 4 looks a lot better, especially aesthetically and I can get it for essentially the same price.
Case, meshify c is a fantastic choice, can get here for $91.
Once again, thanks for the help.

Thank you so much for telling me this, let me try to address it one by one.
Yes, I recently realized the importance of reliability in ssd, now I'm probably gonna go with the mx500.
As a novice it is still hard to visualize, but does syncing RGB make a big difference? Becuase gigabyte 2070s are quite a bit more.
Dark rock 4 looks a lot better, especially aesthetically and I can get it for essentially the same price.
Case, meshify c is a fantastic choice, can get here for $91.
Once again, thanks for the help.

Syncing RGB's is definitely not that important. But I personally find it nice when you can sync them together, either by having them pulse simultaneously or creating a wave effect. It's a gimmick, so it's up to you whether you're willing to put that much more money into a Design feature.

My home PC uses aircooling on the Meshify C, I strongly recommend it for air cooling builds.

Reactions: Hypoltan

Hypoltan

Prominent
Feb 14, 2019
Syncing RGB's is definitely not that important. But I personally find it nice when you can sync them together, either by having them pulse simultaneously or creating a wave effect. It's a gimmick, so it's up to you whether you're willing to put that much more money into a Design feature.

My home PC uses aircooling on the Meshify C, I strongly recommend it for air cooling builds.
Thank you. The Meshify C seems like the perfect case for me, except while the CPU temps are good the GPU temps seem to be abnormally high. Is this the case and is there any fan configuration to prevent that?

TRENDING THREADS