Question Help with build - USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 and USB 2.0 header woes:

Dec 6, 2022
Hi guys,

I'm new here, but if you all could help a girl out with my new build I would appreciate it a lot! So it has been over 5 years since I have built a PC....obviously a lot has changed since my last build. Although I am having to take research breaks mid-build to update my knowledge on components and properly plan, I am very capable and have built dozens of PCs over the years.

The current bane of my existence consists of:

Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
ASUS X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Extreme
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
EVGA RTX 3090Ti
Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (64GB)
FireCuda 530 (4TB)
Corsair AX1600i PSU
Corsair H150i Elite LCD AIO
BeQuiet Lightwings 120mm (9 fans)
Lian Li Strimer Plus (V2)

I am building in a reverse configuration without a riser. I have no desire to utilize a riser. I am using the Asus ROG Fan Controller as a fan and ARGB hub. Obviously I will also be forced to use the Corsair iCUE Commander Core as well, but only to connect the H150.

As is hopefully clear from the included photos, I am attempting to connect the Type C front panel on the EVO but running into a clearance issue. The connector provided by Lian Li, while admirably beefy and solid-feeling, is as a result too large to connect to the header. It is slightly too large to be jammed into the header when the 3090Ti is slotted, and when I take out the 3090Ti, plug in the connector, and attempt to re-seat the 3090Ti....it is blocked by the inordinately large front panel connector.

So, my rather wordy description of the problem leads to this, my plea for assistance....does anyone know of an adapter that will allow me to connect the front panel Type C? Both USB 3.2 Gen 2 headers cause this issue, with the Gen 2 being even worse than the Gen 2x2 that is pictured.

Also, while we are on the subject of adapters, I require four USB 2.0 headers for my ARGB components, and unsurprisingly my Asus board only has two. Asus includes a cable that splits one male connector into two female connectors. I require another, however, and cannot for the life of me find a similar splitter cable to order. I have seen the splitters on Amazon that have the 2-4 female headers on a small circuit board, but they appear quite fragile and poorly built. I have also seen the NZXT powered internal hub and considered it, but it seems to be overkill and also has a fair number of disconcertingly atrocious reviews. Does anyone have a link to a simple cable-only splitter to match the one I have? Or, does anyone have advice on why I should be looking at one of the other solutions instead....and if so, a recommendation? Money is no object - I would rather spend more so that I won't be required to waste time later fiddling with a buggy product.

Thanks SO MUCH in advance for any help you can send my way! I will be eternally grateful - I am SUPER excited to finish this build and it is currently relegated to sitting on my living room floor gathering dust while I look for a solution.

https://giphy.com/gifs/dRP5podtsHnBxhphdR

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I am building in a reverse configuration without a riser.
Can you elaborate on this?

Cleaned up the tags on the thread's initial post to reveal the URL, was hidden for me - oddly.
Could you please take a picture of the build from a distance to see what you have to work with.

https://www.amazon.com/CERRXIAN-Adapter-Internal-Connector-Motherboard/dp/B0986VB543
^ is what you're looking for? I tend to steer clear of adapters since they cause more headaches than solve them.

Just a small point of concern is, did you make sure your BIOS for the motherboard is flashed to the latest version? If not, you're not going to get POST with that Ryzen 5000 series processor.

Dec 6, 2022
I am building in a reverse configuration without a riser.
Can you elaborate on this?

Reverse configuration is just inverting the EVO case and not using a PCIE riser. See:

3ACW2Z1JC83K2926IR

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/lianli/comments/uvcqi2/lian_li_evo_inverted_build/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=2&utm_content=share_button

Could you please take a picture of the build from a distance to see what you have to work with.

GqIdimr3DNFoIk5BCu

Not the best photo, but should give you the picture.