Help with build

urbanlegend645

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
Hi guys! I'm currently working on a build for my first PC. I've never built my own before, so I'm extremely new to this and would just like opinions and suggestions about what I've come up with. I understand how each part works, and have done some research, but am not sure what goes best together or what is best for what I want my computer to do and would love some advice!

You can find the build here: link

I'm planning on using this as a gaming computer primarily - I would love to be able to play games like heavily modded Skyrim, Far Cry, Outlast, and MMORPGs without lag, and with good graphics. I may do some very light video editing as well, but that won't be it's main purpose and it doesn't need to accommodate that. I have a budget of $1000. I want it to run well, and I'm willing to spend the money on good parts, but would appreciate opinions on where I can cut costs without it affecting performance if it's at all possible.

I'm particularly interested to know your opinions about the mobo, cpu and video card combo, because it's actually a bundle on new egg and it would be nice if I could get a deal.

Thank you for your help!

Solution
The SSD is 4 times faster than the regular HDD. I know it is a good idea to put your OS and games on the SSD as they will load so much faster. I went from a 22 second boot time down to 6.5 seconds with my raid of ssd's :)
Change out the CX PSU with a better quality one. If you want to know why read this: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=416
Also I changed the build with a better PSU. Here is a list of others: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
Only get Tier 1 or 2.
CPU / MOBO are great choices
If you wanted you could go for a cheaper and faster R9 280x. Or a slightly more expensive and even faster R9 380.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($95.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($97.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 4GB SOC Video Card ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($86.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1031.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-08 20:59 EDT-0400

urbanlegend645

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
Thank you both! The link about the CX was helpful!

I was also wondering about the storage - is having two storage components a must? I wouldn't have thought to use two until I noticed that most builds on here incorporate more than one. Thanks :)