[SOLVED] Help with build

Jan 11, 2022
Hello all.
I need some help with deciding what to do with my current build:
  • ASUS ROG Strix B460-G GAMING m-atx
  • i7-10700kf @stock, with Noctua nh-u12s push/pull setup.
  • 2x8gb 3200mhz cl21 unknown brand (rynning in 2966mhz)
  • Msi 1080ti Gaming X
  • Fractal Design Define Mini C with 2x140mm Noctua's as front intakes, and 1x120mm Noctua as rear exhaust.
  • Corsair rm650 psu

Cpu,motherboard and ram comes from an Asus prebuilt.

Now i've got a hold of a nearly complete pc build with these specs:

• Asrock x570 Steel Legend atx
  • Ryzen 3700x with Silentiumpc Fortis 3 rgb cooler
  • 2x16gb cl18 Team Group T-Force 3600mhz ram
  • Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact
  • Silentiumpc 750w gold rated psu

I bought the second pc mainly for the Meshify case, and i got it cheap since he already sold the gpu.

Should i swap the ram sticks, since it is 32gb with lower cas ? Or should i just swap the entire system, with my 1080ti in it ?

My son will most likely have the remaining system, since it will be an upgrade from his current 4690k build.

I know the 3700x is a downgrade from my 10700kf, but the ryzen motherboard is newer, and supports pci-e 4.0.

It also will run the 3600mhz memory at full speed i reckon, instead of the 2966mhz on my 10700kf ?

I could also sell the 3700x cpu, and upgrade if needed.

Only thing is i loose the ability to use my beloved Noctua cpu cooler, since i'm missing the brackets for mounting the Fortis 3 cooler on the intel system.

What would you guys have done ?

Solution
I would have just bought the case you wanted.

As an upgrade, the 3700X would be a nice one.
Ryzen needs fast ram for best performance.
Intel will not benefit much from fast ram.
Unless you need more than 16gb, give son the 3600 ram.

Your rm corsair is a good quality psu. Keep it.
The silentium psu may be junk. If son has a better one, use that.

GTX1080ti does not need pcie4.
In fact were it to run on pcie2.0, you would not notice any difference.

Solution
Jan 11, 2022
Put the 1080ti in the AMD rig, and give your son the 10700kf rig, with his current GPU, get a 5900x, and then sell the 3700x, is what I would do. That or wait for the 5800x3d, then sell the 3700x.

Thank you for replying !

Yeah i'm thinking of it.
Also the ryzen motherboard probably supports the use of a bigger air cooler, like the Noctua D15.
Right now with the u12s, the cooler has almost no clearance to the backplate of the gpu. So i'll probably never overclock the 10700kf, since i'm no fan of liquid coolers.

How does the 5800x compare to the 10700kf at stock ? Thinking both performance and thermals.

Jan 11, 2022

Thank you for replying !

It's probably the easiest. In that case, i have an extra atx case i could put the ryzen build in.

As for the ram speeds, i was thinking more of cl18 vs cl21 ? I don't need 32gb, but it couldn't hurt i suppose. I play the most of demanding titles, and use alot of alt-tabbing with chrome etc.

I agree with you on the psu. Was a little curious of that brand though. Seems like most are happy with them, and it came from a shop-built pc with a 3080 card in it.
That specific psu costs the same new here, as a Corsair rm650.

Thank you for replying !

It's probably the easiest. In that case, i have an extra atx case i could put the ryzen build in.

As for the ram speeds, i was thinking more of cl18 vs cl21 ? I don't need 32gb, but it couldn't hurt i suppose. I play the most of demanding titles, and use alot of alt-tabbing with chrome etc.

I agree with you on the psu. Was a little curious of that brand though. Seems like most are happy with them, and it came from a shop-built pc with a 3080 card in it.
That specific psu costs the same new here, as a Corsair rm650.
IMO you want at least CL 16 3600 RAM with a 5000 series AMD CPU. Something like this, or this, or this. The 2nd option is the lowest latency but the 3rd option is about 12% faster transfer speed while only being slightly higher latency. If you don't care about 1-6% more fps get the first option and save some money (assuming you are in the US).

logainofhades

Titan
Thank you for replying !

Yeah i'm thinking of it.
Also the ryzen motherboard probably supports the use of a bigger air cooler, like the Noctua D15.
Right now with the u12s, the cooler has almost no clearance to the backplate of the gpu. So i'll probably never overclock the 10700kf, since i'm no fan of liquid coolers.

How does the 5800x compare to the 10700kf at stock ? Thinking both performance and thermals.

5800x is a bit faster, the 5800x3d, if AMD's claim is true, is going to outclass the 12900k, in gaming.