[SOLVED] Help with building my new gaming PC

Apr 4, 2020
Hi guys,
So my old PC is 5 years old and its coming to that time where I'd rather buy a new one than upgrade different parts. When I built my original PC I had a lot of help with choosing the parts so didn't really have to think for myself as I'm pretty useless when it comes to this stuff. But I'd still like to build my next one for the experience and reduced cost. For my GPU I'm pretty set on getting the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB OC from the reviews I've read, but for everything else I'm overwhelmed with all the options and keeping compatibility in mind. I've got a budget of around £900 ideally (can go to £1000 max) and would like to be able to play most games on high settings but doesn't need to be ultra high. ATM I'm wanting to play games like Black Desert Online and The Witcher 3 without having awfully low frames. Would I need an i7 cpu or will i5 suffice? Was also wondering whether I'd be able to build one at this price for streaming. I'm aiming to be able to go as long as possible without upgrading but I'm aware that that would involve spending a lot more. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Intel is not good value for money atm. This should be good...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor | £184.96 @ Senetic
Motherboard | MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard | £104.91 @ Ebuyer
Memory | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory | £86.98 @ Aria PC
Storage | Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | £101.49 @ CCL Computers
Video Card | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card | £382.64 @ Box Limited
Case | Thermaltake View 22 ATX Mid Tower Case | £45.46 @ Scan.co.uk
Power Supply | Corsair TXM Gold 550...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Memory | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory | £86.98 @ Aria PC
Storage | Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | £101.49 @ CCL Computers
Video Card | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card | £382.64 @ Box Limited
Power Supply | Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | £64.99 @ Box Limited
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | £971.43
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-04 15:48 BST+0100 |

Reactions: sloothbagoo
Solution
Apr 4, 2020

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Power Supply | Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | £64.99 @ Box Limited
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | £971.43
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-04 15:48 BST+0100 |
Thanks so much!
One thing, looking at the list of PCPartPicker it talks about compatibility issues, do I need to worry about that if I went for these parts?

Apr 3, 2020
That "compatibility issue" is just a bios update for the motherboard potentially needing an older CPU if the CPU you're trying to put into it is newer/first released after you bought the motherboard, It shouldn't really be an issue for you in this case.

Also, I agree with Hellfire's build list except for the memory. It's just my opinion, but you could swap out that 1TB M.2 SSD for a 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD and a smaller SSD around 250GB to potentially save you a few bucks. You'd be able to keep things like your operating system and game software on the SSD so they would load faster and then all of your games on the HDD. Especially playing bigger titles that take up more space, 1TB would fill up very fast.

Again this is just personal opinion, at the end of the day it's up to you to make the final decision on whether you'd want more storage space or faster startup times.

I'm also going to leave this YouTube video here. It's a gaming build that is also meant to be used to stream so you could take a few ideas from the video if you feel like doing so.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BAMdv3YI50&t=834s

Reactions: sloothbagoo
Apr 4, 2020
That "compatibility issue" is just a bios update for the motherboard potentially needing an older CPU if the CPU you're trying to put into it is newer/first released after you bought the motherboard, It shouldn't really be an issue for you in this case.

Also, I agree with Hellfire's build list except for the memory. It's just my opinion, but you could swap out that 1TB M.2 SSD for a 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD and a smaller SSD around 250GB to potentially save you a few bucks. You'd be able to keep things like your operating system and game software on the SSD so they would load faster and then all of your games on the HDD. Especially playing bigger titles that take up more space, 1TB would fill up very fast.

Again this is just personal opinion, at the end of the day it's up to you to make the final decision on whether you'd want more storage space or faster startup times.

I'm also going to leave this YouTube video here. It's a gaming build that is also meant to be used to stream so you could take a few ideas from the video if you feel like doing so.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BAMdv3YI50&t=834s
Great, thank you so much!

Thanks so much!
One thing, looking at the list of PCPartPicker it talks about compatibility issues, do I need to worry about that if I went for these parts?
PCPP cannot distinguish between old and new B450 boards. The MSI MAX Series of boards were launched along with Ryzen 3rd gen. CPUs and are perfectly compatible right out of the box with updated BIOS, as you can find out on the product page...
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-max

I would mostly avoid that to keep away any slow moving parts from the build. In 2020 even SATA SSDs are so cheap that it doesn't make any more sense to use a HDD, unless you are really hard pressed.

Last edited: