[SOLVED] Help with buying a new Motherboard and CPU

a.choheyli

Reputable
Mar 30, 2018
So I bought this computer 4 years ago.
https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-83-102-104
Two years after I bought a gtx 1070 and replaced it with what was inside that computer. This pc is doing good and my expectations are low. I have some extra money so I decided to buy a new processor.
I was thinking I can buy ryzen 7 2700x for $169. I don't know exactly what processor to buy. I was thinking I can get ASRock B450M PRO4 for $75. This is the cpu I'm talking about.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FVYKFXF?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1
So Am I making a mistake? are there any better things I can buy for the same price.
I am a noob when it comes to these stuff so feel free to criticize or educate me.
Thanks in advance.

Solution
Well for one thing you need ddr4 ram and it should be no less than 3000mhz but I recently got a 2700x and I’m very happy with it you could perhaps go for a ryzen 5 3600 system but if you like doing a lot of multi tasking and or streaming the 2700x might be a better value

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
Well for one thing you need ddr4 ram and it should be no less than 3000mhz but I recently got a 2700x and I’m very happy with it you could perhaps go for a ryzen 5 3600 system but if you like doing a lot of multi tasking and or streaming the 2700x might be a better value

Reactions: a.choheyli
Solution

a.choheyli

Reputable
Mar 30, 2018
So that motherboard is not compatible with ddr3 rams?

a.choheyli

Reputable
Mar 30, 2018
I don’t see anything about that WiFi on that board so either get a Asus usb WiFi card which is around 30$ or perhaps go with a motherboard with WiFi which might end up being around the same. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-d...WLh1jnRuMSeUUowwnD4aAqjwEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds. I have two of these they work great
Thanks for the quick reply. Could you please recommend me a good motherboard that would work with that processor and ram?
Also I forgot to mention, about a year ago I changed the power supply.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00918N4A0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
I can’t because I have a super low profile cooler on it but I plan to put a water cooler on it soon, it’s a very custom build I have it in a very very small case from 22 years ago. You may see a post in a couple months about it

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
I was just thinking, Is it possible to get a motherboard that supports SLI and also supports that ryzen 7 2700x?
Sli, as of the moment is kinda dead, modern games don’t really support it. Most high end modern GPUs are able to push 100fps on high settings on most games so there’s not really a point for sli as of right now.

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
After working on it for hours I finally got it working.
Everything works fine except for Rams, I should have 16gb but it only shows 8.
There were 4 slots on the mobo, From left to right I put them on first and second.
Does it matter where I put them?
What could be wrong?
It might matter where you put them if you have the manual to the motherboard I’d consult that it should say what slots to put them in

a.choheyli

Reputable
Mar 30, 2018
It might matter where you put them if you have the manual to the motherboard I’d consult that it should say what slots to put them in
Another thing I noticed is that the cha fan was not working. My fan has a 3 pin connector but the mobo has 4. Is that normal? I was able to plug it in easily even with 3 pins

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
There’s usually a little piece of plastic that the 3 pin is supposed to slide onto so that it has the proper power going to the right pins if yours doesn’t you might have to do some experimentation