[SOLVED] Help with camera setup

Campfirecrucifix

Honorable
Jan 28, 2017
So, I've watched this video and I want to setup my own security camera system using the same 4k Annke POE cameras and using Blue Iris as my Monitoring software.

I just have a question about cable routing. For the locations that are farther from the server (Eg. To a detected garage or a shed), would I be able to run just one Cat6 cable to a switch and then have it branch off to 4 different cameras or would I need to run a separate cable to each camera?

Here is an example. Would there be any downsides to using the switch method? Not sure if one cable would have have trouble with all that bandwidth coming from 4 4k streams.

Solution
So, I've watched this video and I want to setup my own security camera system using the same 4k Annke POE cameras and using Blue Iris as my Monitoring software.

I just have a question about cable routing. For the locations that are farther from the server (Eg. To a detected garage or a shed), would I be able to run just one Cat6 cable to a switch and then have it branch off to 4 different cameras or would I need to run a separate cable to each camera?

Here is an example. Would there be any downsides to using the switch method? Not sure if one cable would have have trouble with all that bandwidth coming from 4 4k streams.
You need to run one Ethernet cable per camera from the any switch.
Also make sure your...

You need to run one Ethernet cable per camera from the any switch.
Also make sure your switch supports POE (Power over Ethernet) on each port you are using to connect a camera.

Reactions: Campfirecrucifix
Solution

Campfirecrucifix

Honorable
Jan 28, 2017
You need to run one Ethernet cable per camera.
Also make sure your switch supports POE (Power over Ethernet) on each port you are using to connect a camera.
Gotcha. Thank you for the quick response.
I am very curious however, could you explain to me why the switch method wouldn't be possible? I'm assuming it's not a bandwidth limitation but rather a POE restiction?