[SOLVED] Help with CC cleaner and wiping a Hard drive, please

jimenezbcg

Reputable
Jul 10, 2018
Hey guys, first of all I am sorry if this post isn't allowed here, but I need your help you have always been helping me out which I greatly Apreciate.

I am thinking of upgrading my PC and I want to sell my previous old Hard drives, but, I had very important Financial and personal Information on those drives, So I used CC cleaning tool, secure file deletion, slower, Wipe MFT free space, 36 overwrites on the disk I am going to sell.

My question is this, how effective is that wiping I did, and I know the guy Im selling my old parts to has some Knowledge in PCs so I am wondering if for guy like him is easy to recover some delicate information.

I am pretty sure I had files from my bank account, my job documents which was very confidential could get fired if they know I leaked info about the company, so to me is worrysome.

Thank you so much

Solution
There is no way to secure erase harddisks if the one who wants the data pays a professional with professional hardware tools to extract them ..

There will always be some layers of "magnetic" information left on the platter no matter how you try to write zeros on the surface.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
There is no way to secure erase harddisks if the one who wants the data pays a professional with professional hardware tools to extract them ..

There will always be some layers of "magnetic" information left on the platter no matter how you try to write zeros on the surface.

Reactions: jimenezbcg
Solution

jimenezbcg

Reputable
Jul 10, 2018

So better not sell hardrives but destroy them right?

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
I have an old pc box at work that i keep because it has 6 Sata ports.

when we donate PC's, i dismount their hard drives, and plug them in the old box, and plug an usb boot drive with DBAN on it.
i boot on the usb disk drive and type "autonuke" and let it run overnight.

It's actually also a good test for hard drive's reliability. if their was errors, DBAN will tell you so you won't reuse a bad hdd.

USAFRet

Titan
Hey guys, first of all I am sorry if this post isn't allowed here, but I need your help you have always been helping me out which I greatly Apreciate.

I am thinking of upgrading my PC and I want to sell my previous old Hard drives, but, I had very important Financial and personal Information on those drives, So I used CC cleaning tool, secure file deletion, slower, Wipe MFT free space, 36 overwrites on the disk I am going to sell.

My question is this, how effective is that wiping I did, and I know the guy Im selling my old parts to has some Knowledge in PCs so I am wondering if for guy like him is easy to recover some delicate information.

I am pretty sure I had files from my bank account, my job documents which was very confidential could get fired if they know I leaked info about the company, so to me is worrysome.

Thank you so much
"I want to sell my previous old Hard drives"

DBAN