Help with changing mobo and CPU

Lee_2

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015
Hi,

I am planning to upgrade my GIGABYTE 78-LMT-USB3 mobo w/ an FX 6350 to a ASUS Prime B350-A with a Ryzen 5 2600. Will I need to reinstall windows at all? If I do, I have a HDD and a SSD with Windows on it and will reinstalling it cause me to lose any data (will I need to format or whatnot)? My license is also attached to my MS account.

Thanks.

Solution
When doing a such a swap you should reinstall windows. It may boot it may not, but even if it does boot it likely will not run properly without a clean reinstall. Put all important data on the HDD and after the swap leave the hdd unplugged and do a clean reinstall on the SSD(this will wipe everything from the SSD). Once the reinstall and driver install is completed shut the system down and reattach the HDD.

bignastyid

Titan
When doing a such a swap you should reinstall windows. It may boot it may not, but even if it does boot it likely will not run properly without a clean reinstall. Put all important data on the HDD and after the swap leave the hdd unplugged and do a clean reinstall on the SSD(this will wipe everything from the SSD). Once the reinstall and driver install is completed shut the system down and reattach the HDD.

Solution