Help with clean install?

Kylehail

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
I had just built a custom pc with hopes of running ubuntu with help from crossover, but when i found out for myself that it doesn't work most games that i love i ordered windows 7. It just arrived and i tried to install it, but it say that it is unrecognized, i looked at other posts and they say it is formatted to ext4. If this is true, how do i "un-format it". Then how would i formate it to operate windows

Solution
when you use the windows 7 install disk and go into advanced does the drive show up? if so you can delete the old partitions and reformat the drive.

if the drive is not showing up then you can hook the drive up to any other computer and reformat the drive also.

windows likes fat or ntfs formatting. fat32 is older and you really only find it on some flash drives anymore due to the maximum recognized capacity. ntfs is used almost exclusively for everything else so is what you should format as.

larrym

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Did you get a cd with windows? Do you have a DVD drive? Change your boot order to select the dvd drive first and put the cd in the dvd drive. During the install, you can format the drive then. You can change the boot order in the BIOS or look at the screen on boot, it will usually have a hot key to change the boot order.

when you use the windows 7 install disk and go into advanced does the drive show up? if so you can delete the old partitions and reformat the drive.

if the drive is not showing up then you can hook the drive up to any other computer and reformat the drive also.

windows likes fat or ntfs formatting. fat32 is older and you really only find it on some flash drives anymore due to the maximum recognized capacity. ntfs is used almost exclusively for everything else so is what you should format as.

Solution
In your BIOS or Boot Menu, set your CD/DVD ROM drive as the first boot-able device and make sure the disc is inside. Boot from the disc and it will start a process that will let you reformat the drive. Make a backup of your files you want to keep before doing this(if any).