Question Help with compatibility of new hardware

Noxxny789

Reputable
Apr 14, 2020
I've a Asrock b450m steel legend motherboard. I'm looking to upgrade my storage. I already have a m.2 installed in the standard slot under the ram slots. Now I'm thinking about installing another in the ultra m.2 slot under the cpu.

Crucial P2 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD Up to 2400MB/s - CT1000P2SSD8 https://amzn.eu/d/5LPw558

Will this product be compatible with my ASRock B450M Steel Legend?

This will be big help! Thanks in advance.

Noxxny789

Reputable
Apr 14, 2020
Yeap, it should drop right in. Prior to getting(purchasing) the SSD, please make sure to update the BIOS to the latest version.
Thanks! Also please if i can bother u some more i would like to ask what's the difference between the standard m.2 and the ultra m.2 in my motherboard?

I also read somewhere that sometimes installing two m.2 can cap them at only half the performance because of shared pcie lanes...i won't have that problem right?

Lutfij

Titan
It's ASRock's marketing jargon...one slot only accepts SATA based M.2 SSD's while the other only accepts PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 SSD's. The board's SATA M.2(M2_2) slot shares it's connectivity with SATA3_3 port, meaning if you have a drive populating SATA3_3, the standard M.2(M2_2) slot will be nonfunctional. If you have an M.2 SATA based SSD in the standard (M2_2)slot SATA3_3 will be nonfunctional.