Question Help with connecting 80's Technics audio components?

KublaiKhan

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
I couldn't help myself: It was $15.

Technics ST-Z780 Am/FM Tuner
Technics SH-Z170 Equalizer
Technics SU-Z780 Integrated Amplifier
Technics RS-D180W Cassette
Technics SL-P128 CD Player

Last time I did like this, I was a kid with a Pioneer system and all the manuals. Components connected to a master switching box, and then to the equalizer, and then to the amp—if I recall correctly. This Technics gear is different.

The CD player and tuner are straight-forward. I cannot figure out the equalizer and tape deck connections to this amplifier. Please help me understand this:

Equalizer
Line In
Line Out
TAPE REC Out
TAPE Playback

Amplifier
TAPE REC Out
TAPE Playback
VCR1/EQ REC Out
VCR1/EQ Playback

Cassette
Line In
Line Out

The tuner is working. The CD player seems to have an issue with the left channel output (there is none). I understand the amplifier isn't entirely shameful. I am shocked by how loud it is (connected to Pioneer HPM-100). I'd like to get the rest connected, to see if the EQ and tape deck work. God knows I'll be listening to cassettes . . . .

I also discovered I no longer own a pair of stereo headphones. The ones I do have feature the 3.5 mm jacks meant to connect to computers and portable devices—and it is hell trying to attach a 1/4" adapter to these. How did I fall so far?

amplifier and equalizer works similary, it shouldnt matter if u put EQ before or after AMP
either way u get sound, EQ/amp it up then send it elsewhere (another amp or speakers)

lets say you want EQ before AMP
line in on casette is for recording, this connect with EQ tape rec out
line out on casette is for playing , this connect with EQ tape playback

connect EQ with AMP:
EQ line in conect with amp tape ouput
EQ line out connect with amp tape input

Reactions: KublaiKhan

KublaiKhan

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
Thank for your help.

I returned everything. I wasn't happy with the design of the amp. While it sounded great, the power switch was broken, and it had to be unplugged or connect to something with an ON/OFF switch. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but that's coming in a sentence or two. Clearly, support for an equalizer was added as an afterthought; having to turn on "VCR 1" to pass through the equalizer rubbed me the wrong way. The CD player only had sound on the right channel, which was a real downer for me.

I can do better than that old Technics junk.