[SOLVED] Help with correct bios settings for AMD 7 2700x and ROG Strix X470-F gaming MB

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rgmiket

Commendable
Jun 4, 2019
MB: ROG Strix X470-f Gaming
RAM: 32 GB Hyperx Predator DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8)
GPU: NVidia GeForce RTX 2060 (6gb mem)
PSU: Corsair TX 850M (850W 80 plus Gold)
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X and stock Prism Wraith cooler

So when on PBO or full auto I get phenomenal Speeds but Core V shows in Ryzen Master as 1.45 to 1.55...for short time that I viewed it before shutting system down. Temps were still under spec but were up there 75 to 84c and EDC (CPU) was like 1000% or something incomprehensible from what I remember correctly and RED.

So I shutdown right away and started reading up on what I should do...I would like, but don't always need, that level of performance..and I am a noob at this whole OC thing...and read that i shouldn't even try since the 2700x does it so well...but if I turn everything off. I get stock 3.7...and would rather better than that.

So I was hoping someone could give me a method to get to a stable setting with PBO and let Ryzen do its thing..without burning down the house..lol

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I don't need PBO but would like to see the numbers higher on CPU without being so hot and such a high voltage which is why the heat is so high.

Cheers,
Mike

Solution
MB: ROG Strix X470-f Gaming
RAM: 32 GB Hyperx Predator DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8)
GPU: NVidia GeForce RTX 2060 (6gb mem)
PSU: Corsair TX 850M (850W 80 plus Gold)
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X and stock Prism Wraith cooler

So when on PBO or full auto I get phenomenal Speeds but Core V shows in Ryzen Master as 1.45 to 1.55...for short time that I viewed it before shutting system down. Temps were still under spec but were up there 75 to 84c and EDC (CPU) was like 1000% or something incomprehensible from what I remember correctly and RED.

So I shutdown right away and started reading up on what I should do...I would like, but don't always need, that level of performance..and I am a noob at this whole OC thing...and read that i shouldn't even try since...

Rgmiket

Commendable
Jun 4, 2019
I don't use HWmonitor for Ryzen, in my experience it wasn't displaying the correct information. See what the voltage is in Ryzen Master and HWinfo64. Ryzen Master is the trusted program for monitoring temp. I have noticed that when only a single core or four cores are being stressed the voltage is higher than when all cores are being stressed. When stressing a single core or up to four cores the voltages I've seen are usually in the 1.43V range, when all cores are engaged, like in a Cinebench render test, the voltage is a steady 1.36V. This is not hugely surprising as 1 - 4 cores would be a "boost mode" as in the processor is supposed to boost up to four cores to 4.35Ghz so by default it provides more voltage to ensure stability in its "boost state". When you "overclock" via PBO it boosts the all core state to a higher state and @ 4.35Ghz all core my processor only requires 1.36V which is set in bios by the offset. The advantage to using an offset is the voltage will go down to a "resting state" of 0.831V @ 2.19Ghz with "balanced mode" set in windows. When doing a single core Cinebench run one of my cores is pegged at 4.35Ghz, all the other cores are at 2.19Ghz but the core voltage is 1.43V because the processor basically overcompensates for single core boost, but that just how PBO works. Its just the nature of the beast.

Now if your sitting at 1.5V as reported by HWinfo64 when running a Cinebench render then your processor or motherboard is actually supplying too much power by default and with your particular hardware you will need to set a negative offset. I would start by just going one click at a time, enter windows do a Cinebench run with HWinfo64 open and monitor your Vcore when all cores are engaged. Your goal is to get the Vcore to around 1.36V which should be stable for 4.2Ghz (Mine is stable at 1.36V @ 4.35Ghz as a reference). Once you have your setting you can either be happy with it (if stable) or continue to lower the Vcore till your unstable then reset to the last stable negative offset, and you have found where optimal Vcore for level 2 is. Every processor and motherboard is a little different due to the silicon lottery. With bios 4205 I needed a negative offset, with the newest bios I need a positive offset, but that is with my particular processor, yours may still require a negative offset even with the newest bios. Once you have your optimal Vcore you should see voltage spikes of 1.44, 1.45 max, single core boost may have the voltage at the same level, but all core rendering should be around 1.36V or lower. Ryzen is perfectly safe with voltage spikes up to 1.55V and even sustained voltages of 1.5V, but once you optimize it you really should see regular operation of voltages no higher than 1.46V (in boost mode) and a few one second spikes of 1.5V.

FYI I noticed the newer bios but wanted to go to one you already knew...appears you know newest now too...lol.

Anyhow..yes HWMonitor is being removed...I think garbage for me anyhow (while playing Division 2 it reported Clock speeds of like 10,000+...lol I wish). HWinfo seems to be a better bet and I like the averages...I am currently -offset of .0750 CB20 lower score 3869...but temp didn't go over 82.6.... voltage was 1.344 to 1.63 during run...and yes I see the spikes current max over last 5mins 1.462V...with ave1.161V.

Tried running Aida64 booting from cold and was able to run it for about 3 mins before I saw temp hit 86C that was when I stopped it. Today after running HWinfor64 for 6 hours..I ran Aida and within 30Secs my temp hit 88.9C stopped the run.

Earlier today I ordered 3 more case fans and Noctua NH-U14S with a second fan for it also. Once I don't have to worry about high temps then I can truly check the stability and get voltages in hand also...Should have it by next weekend when I hope to install it...

Do you have 4 ram slots populated? Just thinking about clearance on RAM side of the cooler..I figure you don't since you have 16GB...so just wondering if I will have to lift fan on that side of cooler...I know soon enough..

Gonna play a bit of Div 2 before calling it a night.

Have a great night.

Rgmiket

Commendable
Jun 4, 2019
Hey @Redneck5439 received cooler today...pretty quick ship I gotta say, but man the baby is big. Now appears the height of the Prism is not truly the height of the prism..off the board..I guess the assume vertical board and the height they quote is just that side to side height...so now I am not sure if this is gonna fit...96.3mm is the real height...off the mainboard to top of fan...so now lookin at those numbers I may have a problem...just took all covers off the case and if it fits it will have mm of height clearance...I will have to try it by taking the prism off...So that means if it doesn't fit I will need to put prism back on and I have no compound...other than what shipped with Noctua...so in case I have to return I can't use it.

So plan is to pick up some compound and then pull box apart to see if it will fit...the ruler method is not accurate enough with the prism in place. Before I do that since you have same board...did Noctua and two fans fit in-between ram and Riser to back panel on back of MB...I wont have room to lift the fans at all and would rather not pull of Prism just for S and Giggles...lol...Let me know how cooler fits on your rig please.

Thank you very much!!

Hey @Redneck5439 received cooler today...pretty quick ship I gotta say, but man the baby is big. Now appears the height of the Prism is not truly the height of the prism..off the board..I guess the assume vertical board and the height they quote is just that side to side height...so now I am not sure if this is gonna fit...96.3mm is the real height...off the mainboard to top of fan...so now lookin at those numbers I may have a problem...just took all covers off the case and if it fits it will have mm of height clearance...I will have to try it by taking the prism off...So that means if it doesn't fit I will need to put prism back on and I have no compound...other than what shipped with Noctua...so in case I have to return I can't use it.

So plan is to pick up some compound and then pull box apart to see if it will fit...the ruler method is not accurate enough with the prism in place. Before I do that since you have same board...did Noctua and two fans fit in-between ram and Riser to back panel on back of MB...I wont have room to lift the fans at all and would rather not pull of Prism just for S and Giggles...lol...Let me know how cooler fits on your rig please.

Thank you very much!!

Make sure you have the AM4 mounts, my NH-U14S didn't come with the correct mounts, I had to order them. You can get them free from Noctua, but it takes time (like over a week) so I ordered mine though Amazon for like $5. I have no issues with RAM clearance on my Strix board, I only have 2 slots populated, but even if all four were it still wouldn't have any clearance issues (this is one of the main reasons I went for the NH-U14S over reusing my NH-D15 from my Piledriver build). The NH-U14S (with fan mounted) slides right in behind the first RAM slot, its a seemingly tight fit but there is room. I would recommed mounting both fans (in push pull configuration blowing air towards the rear exhaust of your case) first then place the whole thing for final mounting. Make sure to use the pea method of placing a pea sized drop of thermal compound in the center of the processor and then use a credit card or thermal compound spreader to spread a thin layer over the entire processor. I know a lot of people say this isn't neccessary, but a lot of extreme overclockers use this method to get even better thermals. The added bonus once everything is mounted is the big 140mm fan right right behind the RAM moves a lot of air across the RAM heat sinks and really helps to keep them cool.

Reactions: Rgmiket
FYI I noticed the newer bios but wanted to go to one you already knew...appears you know newest now too...lol.

Anyhow..yes HWMonitor is being removed...I think garbage for me anyhow (while playing Division 2 it reported Clock speeds of like 10,000+...lol I wish). HWinfo seems to be a better bet and I like the averages...I am currently -offset of .0750 CB20 lower score 3869...but temp didn't go over 82.6.... voltage was 1.344 to 1.63 during run...and yes I see the spikes current max over last 5mins 1.462V...with ave1.161V.

Tried running Aida64 booting from cold and was able to run it for about 3 mins before I saw temp hit 86C that was when I stopped it. Today after running HWinfor64 for 6 hours..I ran Aida and within 30Secs my temp hit 88.9C stopped the run.

Earlier today I ordered 3 more case fans and Noctua NH-U14S with a second fan for it also. Once I don't have to worry about high temps then I can truly check the stability and get voltages in hand also...Should have it by next weekend when I hope to install it...

Do you have 4 ram slots populated? Just thinking about clearance on RAM side of the cooler..I figure you don't since you have 16GB...so just wondering if I will have to lift fan on that side of cooler...I know soon enough..

Gonna play a bit of Div 2 before calling it a night.

Have a great night.

If you are seeing Vcore of 1.63 that is way too high, please clearify if this was a typo. You really shouldn't see any spike higher than a max of 1.55V, and I haven't gone above a spike of 1.47V since updating my bios. Spikes of 1.44 - 1.5V are typically common though and I consider to be in the safe zone as they only last a second or two. Single core boost seems to utilize more voltage than all core so don't be surprised of 1.44, 1.46V when a single or up to 4 cores is being stressed (its just how PBO works though). 1.344 (all core) is fine, but seems a little high if you are only obtaining 4.2Ghz. What is your all core clock speed @ 1.344V? I would think that you should be able to run all core 4.2Ghz @ 1.33V totally stable, and that will help a little with thermals.

One more thing- when using HWiNFO64 make sure you are using CPU(Tdie) to measure your temperatures. CPU(Tctl) adds 10C onto your temp for some strange safety feature in Ryzen processors. AMD deliberately added 10C to ensure that the processor would never overheat and at stock it acts as a safety and will throttle the processor before an unsafe temp ever has a chance to occur. Ryzen Master automatically displays the true temp, but the true temp is CPU(Tdie) in HWiNFO64.

Rgmiket

Commendable
Jun 4, 2019
If you are seeing Vcore of 1.63 that is way too high, please clearify if this was a typo.

You are correct that was a typo...looking at data during that run...min 1.294 to max 1.387... overall in that data file was 0.756 to 1.462...so voltage is good.

VDDCR CPU during run min 1.373 up to 1.439V Overall during that small data set 0.73 up to 1.461V. Seems high with the offset I have..but I probably just don't understand how the offset is being applied.

As for temps during CB20 run jumped up to 75.1C instantly then climbed up as high as 83C.

Ryzen Master automatically displays the true temp, but the true temp is CPU(Tdie) in HWiNFO64.

Yes when I first saw the temps I noticed huge difference..Tctl starting that run at 85.1 stopped the test right away the first time...then saw Tdie right next to it 10C offset so I figured that was what I had read about elsewhere on the Ryzen CPU's but this is the software I needed to see it...I did check to be sure then cleared data and re-ran CB20 test.. freaked me out first I saw it..
BTW Room has AC specifically since this Bedroom converted office was to house me many boxes...we put in AC split wall mount units here and one downstairs...I keep room at 20 to 21...MB stayed steady at 34C while Temp sensor???(Temperature 3 [°C], thru 6) had min of 43C max 59C.

Make sure you have the AM4 mounts, my NH-U14S didn't come with the correct mounts, I had to order them. You can get them free from Noctua, but it takes time (like over a week) so I ordered mine though Amazon for like $5. I have no issues with RAM clearance on my Strix board, I only have 2 slots populated, but even if all four were it still wouldn't have any clearance issues (this is one of the main reasons I went for the NH-U14S over reusing my NH-D15 from my Piledriver build). The NH-U14S (with fan mounted) slides right in behind the first RAM slot, its a seemingly tight fit but there is room. I would recommed mounting both fans (in push pull configuration blowing air towards the rear exhaust of your case) first then place the whole thing for final mounting. Make sure to use the pea method of placing a pea sized drop of thermal compound in the center of the processor and then use a credit card or thermal compound spreader to spread a thin layer over the entire processor. I know a lot of people say this isn't neccessary, but a lot of extreme overclockers use this method to get even better thermals. The added bonus once everything is mounted is the big 140mm fan right right behind the RAM moves a lot of air across the RAM heat sinks and really helps to keep them cool.

Thanks for the tips... It would appear that the AMD AM4 mount is included...but of course the fans have to be off to be able to screw it down right... I will attempt to spread the compound figure it doesn't have to be very thick so pea size ball then spread it out.

Plan is to put case on its side remove the prism...clean up the stock compound. Then just place the NH-U14s in place on CPU and then place side glass back in place and hope it doesn't touch. From my measurements I have about 174mm from the Motherboard to the inside of the side panel...with the Cooler being what looks to be exactly 165mm...I have 10mm of room. So if the CPU is 10mm off the board I will be hitting the glass and I will have to return it...not sure how high the CPU sits on the board, but don't think it is 10mm...hope not anyhow.

I did read about the bonus of air flow over ram...all that is good if it fits...Probably wont do this now till Wed night or the weekend depending on how my week goes at work. I have to have computer operational for work until Wed...then back up and running on Monday next...so wish me luck...lol..

Thank you for your patience...you have been such a great help!!!

You are correct that was a typo...looking at data during that run...min 1.294 to max 1.387... overall in that data file was 0.756 to 1.462...so voltage is good.

VDDCR CPU during run min 1.373 up to 1.439V Overall during that small data set 0.73 up to 1.461V. Seems high with the offset I have..but I probably just don't understand how the offset is being applied.

As for temps during CB20 run jumped up to 75.1C instantly then climbed up as high as 83C.

Yes when I first saw the temps I noticed huge difference..Tctl starting that run at 85.1 stopped the test right away the first time...then saw Tdie right next to it 10C offset so I figured that was what I had read about elsewhere on the Ryzen CPU's but this is the software I needed to see it...I did check to be sure then cleared data and re-ran CB20 test.. freaked me out first I saw it..
BTW Room has AC specifically since this Bedroom converted office was to house me many boxes...we put in AC split wall mount units here and one downstairs...I keep room at 20 to 21...MB stayed steady at 34C while Temp sensor???(Temperature 3 [°C], thru 6) had min of 43C max 59C.

Thanks for the tips... It would appear that the AMD AM4 mount is included...but of course the fans have to be off to be able to screw it down right... I will attempt to spread the compound figure it doesn't have to be very thick so pea size ball then spread it out.

Plan is to put case on its side remove the prism...clean up the stock compound. Then just place the NH-U14s in place on CPU and then place side glass back in place and hope it doesn't touch. From my measurements I have about 174mm from the Motherboard to the inside of the side panel...with the Cooler being what looks to be exactly 165mm...I have 10mm of room. So if the CPU is 10mm off the board I will be hitting the glass and I will have to return it...not sure how high the CPU sits on the board, but don't think it is 10mm...hope not anyhow.

I did read about the bonus of air flow over ram...all that is good if it fits...Probably wont do this now till Wed night or the weekend depending on how my week goes at work. I have to have computer operational for work until Wed...then back up and running on Monday next...so wish me luck...lol..

Thank you for your patience...you have been such a great help!!!

You know, I can't remember if the mounting screws are side to side or top and bottom. If top and bottom, you should be able to mount with fans attached, if side to side you'll have to slip the fans in place. Its been so long since I mounted it I honestly can't remember... Your core voltages all seem really good, totally typical and nothing to worry about. I'm assuming your all core is ~4.2Ghz? Once you get the cooling installed I'd say the only thing left to do is tighten the RAM timings a little with Ryzen Dram Calculator and you have an optimized system. If you want to try for higher clocks you can always set for PE level 3 and level 4 now that you have better cooling. You will just have to adjust your offset to give the system a little more voltage, but I would start at level 3 - your current offset may actually be enough as is as level 3 typically has the all core boost top at 4.25Ghz (not much more than level 2 really, at least in my experience). You should also now have sufficient cooling for level 4 as well. At level 4 you will boost to 4.35Ghz all core and will typically need to be hitting 1.4V with the offset. Once you have that stable you can control what you want "on the fly" with Ryzen Master by entering Creator Mode and adjusting the EDC limit down. Typically a EDC of ~150 - 152 will result in an all core clock of 4.25Ghz (my everyday setting) and of course you can turn it all the way up to 168 for an all core clock of 4.35Ghz. Using this method you can boot into Windows with an all core clock of 4.35Ghz and then utilize Ryzen Master to set your all core clock to anything you want, your voltages will also automatically adjust as you are utilizing an offset and not a set voltage---> best of all worlds.

Rgmiket

Commendable
Jun 4, 2019
Installed the new NH-U14S and she appears to be about 10C less than with the prism in CB20 Max temp was 73C...where before I would hit 83 or more...also I was able to run Aida64...only ran it for about 4 mins..temp hit 86C once and then sat under 80C would have a spike into 80's but would drop within 1 or 2 readings..Will need to see if I can go to Level 3(OC) tried it once but black screened. Had to power off...reset to Level 2. Might have time to play with that a bit more but for now looking good with new cooler...

And Yes the cooler fits, probably about 3 to 5 mm of fan clearance to side of case (EVGA DG-77)...and forth ram slot is touching fan...had to remove that stick to put fan on..it was tight fit getting stick back in...hopefully it is OK....maybe I will upgrade RAM in near future and go to 2 -16s then should need to worry about fan leaning against ram heat spreader..but looking good for the time being.

Installed the new NH-U14S and she appears to be about 10C less than with the prism in CB20 Max temp was 73C...where before I would hit 83 or more...also I was able to run Aida64...only ran it for about 4 mins..temp hit 86C once and then sat under 80C would have a spike into 80's but would drop within 1 or 2 readings..Will need to see if I can go to Level 3(OC) tried it once but black screened. Had to power off...reset to Level 2. Might have time to play with that a bit more but for now looking good with new cooler...

And Yes the cooler fits, probably about 3 to 5 mm of fan clearance to side of case (EVGA DG-77)...and forth ram slot is touching fan...had to remove that stick to put fan on..it was tight fit getting stick back in...hopefully it is OK....maybe I will upgrade RAM in near future and go to 2 -16s then should need to worry about fan leaning against ram heat spreader..but looking good for the time being.

I knew the RAM would be a tight fit, but it should be absolutely fine as long as its "seated" properly. The really nice thing is those big 140mm fans on the NH-U14S will pull a lot of air over the RAM heat sinks allowing for really nice RAM overclocking. I have my RAM running at 3600Mhz CL14 (14-14-14-28) with "fast" sub timings, although through a lot of testing I think that 3400 - 3466 is a good "sweet spot" for RAM with Ryzen+. The only reason I keep mine at 3600Mhz is because it does give it a boost while rendering and editing.

Your temps are looking good, I should add that with my recorded temps I have to give some "disclosure". I can run Aida64 stability test and Prime 95 as long as I want and temps won't exceed 80C (maybe a 1 second spike to 84 but just a split second). My case has a full mesh front and top, the only air flow restriction is the air fileters which I clean daily (I also use air to blow out the case every week). I have a temp controlled room with the Ambient temp at 70F, however my tower sits very close to the AC vent so is probably the coolest thing in the room. I have 6 performance 140mm RGB case fans (5 intake and one exhaust creating a lot of positive pressure) and two 140mm performance RGB fans (in push pull) on the NH-U14S, noise isn't important to me so they are all at 100% max speed all the time (and are still pretty darn quiet, much quieter than the Prism when it would ramp to 100%). With this configuration I can run at 4.35Ghz all core (1.4V) for huge rendering projects and never have to worry about heat.

With my offset (I have to use a positive offset with my motherboard) I'm at 1.281V @ 4.175Ghz, 1.294V @ 4.2Ghz (PE level 2 will cap around 4.175 - 4.2Ghz), 1.331V @ 4.25Ghz (this is where PE level 3 caps at) and 1.4V @ 4.35Ghz (this is where PE level 4 caps at). Every processor "overclocks" differently and every processor will need different voltages to achieve desired clock speeds, however this should give an idea of the voltages that you will require for PE level 2, level 3, and level 4.

Reactions: Rgmiket and DMAN999