Help with Corsair Memory suggestion

flooder658

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Hi guys,

I am buying components for my PC. Confused about what memory to get for i7 930 + p6x58d-e MB setup.

I was thinking about buying this memory. Is it any good? Will it be compatible w/ my MB?

What's the difference between this one and the Dominator/higher priced memory? I don't plan on OCing it. If I do, nothing crazy. As long as it doesn't bottleneck my CPU and it's stable, I'll be happy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145286

It's on sale at Fry's for $150, that is the main reason I was considering it as opposed to the other memory in the ~200 range (G.skill, dominator corsair, etc.

Thanks! :)

flooder658

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010

Hey!

Thanks for the reply. That G.skill memory is also more expensive than the corsair that's on sale. ($160 vs $190).

Is it worth the price difference? I only care about noticeable performance gain in games, not just in benchmarks. Like I said, I don't plan on OCing memory much, maybe CPU around ~ <4 GHz if at all.

I want to get the best bang for my buck, but won't skimp on money if I can get tangible improvements.

Thanks!

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006

For $30 more, the Gskill kit is NOT better than the listed Corsair kit with respect to price/performance. And, 1.65v is perfectly safe and within Intel specifications.

Both kits are CAS7 kits so, there is no performance advantage for either kit based on the listed specifications. Both will easily allow you to take an Intel CPU to 4GHz assuming the CPU is up to the task.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006

I must admit that you have now confused me. :eek:

CAS7 is CAS7, regardless of what brand of module you are referring to. So, a CAS7 kit for for $160 vs a CAS7 kit for $190 seems like simple 1st grade math to me. I'm not debating brands here but your statement is simply incorrect in this case. If the situation were reversed, the other kit would be the better buy and the best price/performance candidate. My employer has no relation to this.

flooder658

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Thanks for all your help guys!

I decided to buy the Corsair XMS3 - will be ~$165 after tax and rebates. I had been looking for a quality RAM ad a decent price and this deal did it for me.

:)