[SOLVED] Help with CPU frequency all over the place

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
Ryzen 5 2600
Asrock B450m Pro4
Gigabyte RX 570 4G
Ripjaws 3200 16G

I wanted to test out how to overclock a little bit in preparation for my CPU cooler on the way. Did some research, watched some YouTube vids on how to use Ryzen Master. I chose profile 2 and ramped the speed up to 3700MHz on all the cores and set the voltage to 1.275. Did the "Apply and Test" stress test and it seemed fine, hit apply and it seemed fine for a bit. At some point I remember trying that same 3700MHz and having the Auto button highlighted thinking it would give me an exact voltage to use or something like that. That's the first time I noticed the voltage would jump around and not be a static number. I didn't think too much of it at the time.
Had a crash a day later, then an other one after I exited Civ6. I don't know if this is a BSOD because I lost the display and my computer reset and was stuck with the fans blowing and RGB lights on. Only the reset button or holding power would reset it and it boots up fine after.

I thought I'd reset the settings back to stock and that's when I noticed in RM all the cores independently jumping around anywhere from 2600 to 3900 and the voltage also constantly changing.
If I hit the reset button in the top corner it says I am at factory settings.
I reset the profile back to stock and applied it. The Auto button is lit up at stock and the cores and voltage go crazy after I apply it.
If I do a stock profile setting with Manual it will stay static at 3400 and 1.1375 but only till I reset the computer.
Bios says I'm at 3400mhz, but Ryzen Master and CPU-Z both show the core speed and voltage jumping around like crazy.

So now I'm here to see what to try next.

Solution
Ryzen 5 2600
Asrock B450m Pro4
Gigabyte RX 570 4G
Ripjaws 3200 16G

I wanted to test out how to overclock a little bit in preparation for my CPU cooler on the way. Did some research, watched some YouTube vids on how to use Ryzen Master. I chose profile 2 and ramped the speed up to 3700MHz on all the cores and set the voltage to 1.275. Did the "Apply and Test" stress test and it seemed fine, hit apply and it seemed fine for a bit. At some point I remember trying that same 3700MHz and having the Auto button highlighted thinking it would give me an exact voltage to use or something like that. That's the first time I noticed the voltage would jump around and not be a static number. I didn't think too much of it at the time.
Had a crash...
Ryzen 5 2600
Asrock B450m Pro4
Gigabyte RX 570 4G
Ripjaws 3200 16G

Had a crash a day later, then an other one after I exited Civ6. I don't know if this is a BSOD because I lost the display and my computer reset and was stuck with the fans blowing and RGB lights on. Only the reset button or holding power would reset it and it boots up fine after.

I thought I'd reset the settings back to stock and that's when I noticed in RM all the cores independently jumping around anywhere from 2600 to 3900 and the voltage also constantly changing.
If I hit the reset button in the top corner it says I am at factory settings.
I reset the profile back to stock and applied it. The Auto button is lit up at stock and the cores and voltage go crazy after I apply it.
If I do a stock profile setting with Manual it will stay static at 3400 and 1.1375 but only till I reset the computer.
Bios says I'm at 3400mhz, but Ryzen Master and CPU-Z both show the core speed and voltage jumping around like crazy.

So now I'm here to see what to try next.
Do your settings in BIOS, software is not reliable and RM defaults to stock settings unless OC is applied again.

Solution