Help with CPU Upgrade?

ThatITGirl

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013
Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble trying to decide what would the most cost effective approach to getting parts that would work with my new RX 580. I currently have a MSI 970 for my mobo and an AMD FX 6300 for my CPU, the RX 580 is getting bottlenecked with this currently and I want to be able play games without it having to be on the lowest graphics setting possible. I originally thought about getting a Ryzen 5 CPU to replace the old CPU but pcpartpicker says it's not compatible with the mobo I have. Anyone have any recommendations for a new CPU I could consider or know of a good mobo I could get to go with a Ryzen CPU? I was told Ryzen are the best to get at the moment but if you know of something better I'm open to that as well. Thanks for the help in advance!

Solution
The Ryzen 5 2600 would be a great upgrade for you. I’m guessing you don’t have an SSD. If you don’t have an SSD I’d take the Ryzen 2600 and an SSD over the 2700. SSD’s are so much faster than hard drives it makes a PC feel so much more powerful than it is. Just make sure to get atleast 3000mhz Ram since Ryzen really benefits from the extra ram speed. Luckily both ram and SSD’s are dropping in price right now.

xeddiex

Respectable
Aug 27, 2017

Yes your current board is using AM3+ socket which is not compatible with Ryzen (which runs on AM4 socket)
Its not a bad idea to move onto the Ryzen 5 (e.g. 2600/2600x) as its better all around if you compare it with AM3+ CPUs like the FX8350/8370 :)
WIth the Ryzen chip, you would be looking for B450 motherboards.
Get something like Asus B450F or MSI B450 Tomahawk

huntlong

Respectable
Aug 17, 2017
Unfortunately you’ll have to get a new motherboard as well as ram if you want any meaningful upgrade. Your only option without buying new ram would be to find a good deal on a used 4th gen intel i7 with a mobo but even then 4 core 8 thread CPU’s are being pushed to their limits with new games. A Ryzen 5 2600 with a budget B350 mobo and 16gb DDR4 ram at 3000mhz will run you about $330ish but Will be a great upgrade and last you a decent amount of time. Ryzen’s next upgrade is supposed to come out next year and will likely still work with the B350 mobo so you would still have an upgrade path.

ThatITGirl

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013

Thanks for the recommendation! I figured it's just time to bite the bullet and get better parts overall but money has just been tight. Do you think a Ryzen 5 is the best option or do you think I should save up for the 6 or 7?

ThatITGirl

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013

Thanks for the help! I know that Ryzen has come out with a 6 and 7, do you think the 5 would be ok or should I just save up for the 6 and 7? I'm still new to building my own PCs.

huntlong

Respectable
Aug 17, 2017
The Ryzen 5 2600 would be a great upgrade for you. I’m guessing you don’t have an SSD. If you don’t have an SSD I’d take the Ryzen 2600 and an SSD over the 2700. SSD’s are so much faster than hard drives it makes a PC feel so much more powerful than it is. Just make sure to get atleast 3000mhz Ram since Ryzen really benefits from the extra ram speed. Luckily both ram and SSD’s are dropping in price right now.

Solution