[SOLVED] Help with DDR2 Mobo and POWERCOLOR RADEON RX5600XT

Wolfgrw

Reputable
Aug 4, 2017
Hi!
I have a problem with this graphics card, on an old machine and with these simptoms. The PC passes POST, but with all the text stuttering as it's being writen, then windows 10 Pro, boots up to what it should be the login. most of the times it stops there with the circulating dots. i can write the password while the dots are still "circulating", and it will enter windows, but disables the graphics card, installing Microsoft Basic Driver. Sometimes it shows me the login screen but still disables the amd driver.
Meaning i can't put the graphics card to run properly.
I've tested the card on other machine and it works fine.
I already did the bios upgrade on the mobo.
Can anyone has an idea of what i can do to make this gGPU work?
Don't have the money to buy a new mobo/cpu/ram, right now..
Thank you
Best regards!

Here are my specs:
MY PSU is a CORSAIR TX650W

Graphics
Monitor Name G2790G4 on Microsoft Basic Display Driver
Current Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
Work Resolution 1920x1050 pixels
State Enabled, Primary
Monitor Width 1920
Monitor Height 1080
Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Frequency 64 Hz
Device \\.\DISPLAY19\Monitor0
ATI AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT
Manufacturer ATI
Model AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT
Device ID 1002-731F
Revision CB
Subvendor C.P. Technology (148C)
Current Performance Level Level 0
Technology 7 nm
GPU Clock 0,0 MHz
Driver version 27.20.1034.6
BIOS Version 113-D18903_XLE
Count of performance levels : 1
Level 1 - "Perf Level 0"

RAM
Memory slots
Total memory slots 4
Used memory slots 4
Free memory slots 0
Memory
Type DDR2
Size 8192 MBytes
Channels # Dual
DRAM Frequency 399.9 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 5 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 5 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 15 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T

Motherboard
Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Model P5Q (LGA 775)
Version Rev 1.xx
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model P45/P43/G45/G43
Chipset Revision A3
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801JR (ICH10R)
Southbridge Revision 00
System Temperature 31 °C
BIOS
Brand American Megatrends Inc.
Version 2209
Date 11/03/2010
Voltage
CPU CORE 1.144 V
+12V 12.156 V
AVCC 3.392 V
+3.3V 3.360 V
+5V 5.088 V
DRAM 1.464 V
PCI Data
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E 2.0
Slot Usage In Use
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCIEX16_1
Characteristics 3.3V, Shared, PME
Slot Number 0

Solution
I would boot your PC into safe mood, use DDU to uninstall all the video card drivers. Reboot the PC, then reinstall the AMD drivers.

What Operating system are you using with that older system? If still on Windows 7 or older, it may be a driver issue with supporting the older OS from AMD, you might not be able to use the latest and greatest?

The card should work even on the older motherboard as they backwards compatible through performance will be less then current gen system.

tecmo34

Administrator
I would boot your PC into safe mood, use DDU to uninstall all the video card drivers. Reboot the PC, then reinstall the AMD drivers.

What Operating system are you using with that older system? If still on Windows 7 or older, it may be a driver issue with supporting the older OS from AMD, you might not be able to use the latest and greatest?

The card should work even on the older motherboard as they backwards compatible through performance will be less then current gen system.

Solution

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
With that old of a system it could be an issue with the card being pcie 3.0 vs the board at 2.0. Some of those older ddr2 boards also run at 8x instead of 16x but those are all performance issues and shouldn't be giving you this trouble.

It's going to be one of those good old fashioned try everything till it works type of fixes.

1. take out your CMOS battery and unplug your power supply, let it sit for a good length of time so the bios fully resets.
  2. After it resets, try using every PCIe slot you motherboard has.
  3. you may have to try multiple restarts, and/or a fresh install of windows (even try older windows versions heck its worth a shot )

If you can get it to boot and into windows, install the drivers right away. Updating the motherboards bios still may not do anything because even with the latest drivers, it still may have compatibility issues with current gen tech.

My reccomendation... save up for at least a ddr3 board or ddr4 board. You can piece together a really budget friendly 10th gen i3 build! or even a ryzen 3 platform!

Wolfgrw

Reputable
Aug 4, 2017
Thanks for you replies.
I'm using windows 10 Pro, version 20H2, compilation 19042.746, freshly installed.
I've done pretty much everything you said with no success... :(
I saw some posts refering to DDR2, and their frequency. Do ou know if there are some settings i could mess around with?
Could it also be that my PSU isn't delivering enbough power to te GPU?
Already began studying new mobos, ZeroDollarBudget... :)
Forgt to mention that if i google the ID Hardware(PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_731F&CC_0300), from device manager, "driveridentifier" and such, says that the GPU is a RX 5700XT... ??
And microsof support site says, when i search the line("Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_731F&SUBSYS_2402148C&REV_CA\6&1ef3c842&0&00000008 requires further installation") that's in the GPU properties-> events, also in device manager:
"When you install a Type 8 PCIe device such as the PCI/PCI-X to PCI Express Bridge on a Windows-based computer, the device does not function. Additionally, you see a yellow triangle error that contains an exclamation mark in Device Manager. When you double-click the error, you receive the following error message:
This device cannot start. (Code 10)"
Can's make any sense from this... my card is not a Type 8 PCIe...

Last edited:

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
Thanks for you replies.
I'm using windows 10 Pro, version 20H2, compilation 19042.746, freshly installed.
I've done pretty much everything you said with no success... :(
I saw some posts refering to DDR2, and their frequency. Do ou know if there are some settings i could mess around with?
Could it also be that my PSU isn't delivering enbough power to te GPU?
Already began studying new mobos, ZeroDollarBudget... :)
Forgt to mention that if i google the ID Hardware(PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_731F&CC_0300), from device manager, "driveridentifier" and such, says that the GPU is a RX 5700XT... ??
And microsof support site says, when i search the line("Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_731F&SUBSYS_2402148C&REV_CA\6&1ef3c842&0&00000008 requires further installation") that's in the GPU properties-> events, also in device manager:
"When you install a Type 8 PCIe device such as the PCI/PCI-X to PCI Express Bridge on a Windows-based computer, the device does not function. Additionally, you see a yellow triangle error that contains an exclamation mark in Device Manager. When you double-click the error, you receive the following error message:
This device cannot start. (Code 10)"
Can's make any sense from this... my card is not a Type 8 PCIe...
It could simply be a generational issue where your mother board is too old for the new gpu... to put as simply as I can. It's not always this case as there's a lot of backwards compatibility, but in this instance it may be that your motherboard is just too old and doesn't have the available drivers and software to be able to recognize your new GPU. I have had this issue in the past trying to get an rx590 to work on my Core2 Quad build, and my older 2nd gen i5... but when I upgraded the mobo and got the drivers installed it seemed to work!

I did some very basic research for you, and found this:
https://www.pc-specs.com/gpu/ATI/RX...T_MSI_Gaming_6GB/4953/Compatible_Motherboards

It's a list of all supported motherboards, and I did't see yours on there unfortunately. Maybe I misread it but have a second look, otherwise it may be time to consult PC part picker for a new motherboard/cpu/ram setup.

Wolfgrw

Reputable
Aug 4, 2017
Thank you!
Unfortunately i'm getting to the same conclusion... :(
I am already studying the mobo Gigabyte B550 DS3H.
Best regards.
Edited: @ZeroDollarBudget, my board is listed on pc-specs as 5.2 compatible with my graaphics card, i'm sending asus an email for support. ;)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Thank you!
Unfortunately i'm getting to the same conclusion... :(
Best regards.
Edited: @ZeroDollarBudget, my board is listed on pc-specs as 5.2 compatible with my graaphics card, i'm sending asus an email for support. ;)
Your GPU will definitely work with this motherboard. Of course, you'll need new DDR4 memory and a compatible CPU as well, at a minimum to accompany it.

What is the make/model of your power supply?

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
Little steps, little steps... :)
That't the way to do it! Don't rush into it if you are not familiar with new tech, youtube is a great tool to see how motherboards can affect performance of cpu's and with ryzen platforms ram speeds are key! There's lots of guides on matching the right ram to CPU/Mobo combo and even here on TH forums there's tons of material to research.

Good luck, and you will enjoy having a new system that can take advantage of that graphics card!

Wolfgrw

Reputable
Aug 4, 2017
You can't go to that motherboard without RAM and CPU as well.
If you're doing that, you should probably look into a new PSU.
A solid state drive wouldn't hurt.

Hey, look! You just specced out a new PC.
Buying the parts as money comes in.. ;)
You think My Corsair TX650W is not enough?

Wolfgrw

Reputable
Aug 4, 2017
How old is it?
I was thinking "new PSU", if it is of similar age to the rest of it.
Don't really know, it must be 5-6 years old, i think...
TX Series™ TX650 — 80 PLUS® Bronze Certified 650 Watt High Performance Power Supply.
i've PSU simulations on corsair and on outrevision, and both say that a 450W PSU is enough for
Ryzen 5 3600x
16 DDR4 (2x8GB)
ATX Mobo
AMD RADEON RX5600XT
OCZ Vector 150 120SSD...
I don't use leds, or anything else...

PCIe 3.0 GPUs almost always works with PCIe 2.0 MOBOs just fine. At least ones where DDR3 RAM is used, certainly works. Had a machine with P55 chipset MOBO and PCIe 2.0 used with RTX 2060 Super GPU for 18 months without any issues. DDR2 RAM boards may be too slow, but most likely they should work too. Anyway DDR2 RAM boards are 15 year old design - already very limited for decent OS-es and software. So as people said, get a new computer instead.

You can't go to that motherboard without RAM and CPU as well.
If you're doing that, you should probably look into a new PSU.
A solid state drive wouldn't hurt.

Hey, look! You just specced out a new PC.

Indeed :giggle: New MOBO, CPU, RAM... maybe purchase the rest and then sell or donate your old box to someone.

Buying the parts as money comes in.. ;)
You think My Corsair TX650W is not enough?

From reviews seems it may work, but not the best model indeed. Consider new 650W PSU from Tier B or C (if Tier A is too posh for you). And sell old computer as I said above.

Wolfgrw

Reputable
Aug 4, 2017
Ok, mobos and cpus and all first, and then PSU.
Mobo on the way now.
Sent an email to Asus, asking for P5Q compatibility with the graphics card. Will post any explanation from them.

Many thanks for all your help!😌

Best regards!

Jan 27, 2021
my advice would be scrap the mobo, ram and cpu and upgrade them the gpu is being bottlenecked by pretty much everything else the hdd's will run at sata 1 or sata 2 speed this alone slows down your games and lowers fps add that to ddr 2 ram again low speeds and a cpu from that era with a lower ipc than modern entry level cpus

Reactions: Krotow