kbidols

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Hi, I happen to have a 500GB HDD that won't open properly. It is detectable both under Windows and Ubuntu. So, I decided to follow the most common guide I found online, back it up. I use DDRescue to clone/copy whatever is possible to a 4TB HDD. After running it for 2d 22h 24m, the process stopped by itself. It turns out that my PS2 keyboard has suddenly lost power. However, I have since fixed that problem.

According to DDRescue, the whole proccess would take more than a year to finish. Somewhere around 400+ days. As far as I understand it, there is no bad sector or bad areas so far being detected. Only 3105 MB (0.62%) has been rescued so far. Someone else told me to let it run for 3-4 days and see whether it will speed up or not. Check out the screenshot here:
NVdCZmX.png

Now, the main question is, should I continue (either redo from the beginning or resume from the log file) ? Or is it wiser to not continue at all ?
What would you suggest?

Thank you.

popatim

Titan
Most of us use Unstoppable Copier to create an image of the drive and then run recovery against the image file instead of putting more stress on the HDD savig it as much as possible if it ends up needing to be sent out.

I've never used DDRescue. Can you direct it to the more important files? likely to be in the Users folders.

It takes that long because the hard drive is broken so every read has to be done several times until it either fails or succeeds, the suggestion to let it work to see if it speeds up is because if the issue is limited to the start of the disk then as soon as the problematic area is dealt with the rest of the disk will be done a lot faster as long as it doesn't have any issues.

As popatim suggested try to recover important files first because the disk could burn out any time.

kbidols

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Unstoppable Copier
It takes that long because the hard drive is broken so every read has to be done several times until it either fails or succeeds, the suggestion to let it work to see if it speeds up is because if the issue is limited to the start of the disk then as soon as the problematic area is dealt with the rest of the disk will be done a lot faster as long as it doesn't have any issues.

As popatim suggested try to recover important files first because the disk could burn out any time.

Thank you. I'll take that as a consideration. In the mean time, I'm gonna wait a few more days before taking any further action. Perhaps someone else has a different opinion.