[SOLVED] Help with deciding on mobo and chip, does used matter?

MutantMike

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2015
Got this Alienware motherboard as well as an i7 5820k chip from a buddy for only $150

I planned on getting an ADM 1600 Zen+ chip and B450 mobo for $83 but wondering what kind pf performance difference I would see in a used board and used, overclocked shipped that was used for 3 year

Here is a pic of the motherboard that I got out of an Alinenware Area 51 PC

rBLhQLi.jpg

Solution
Simply put; an oc causes a component to run above spec, but this generates extra heat that needs to be dealt with, hence the need for better cooling

If improperly cooled the heat will cause damage (over time) to components such as a mobo

CPU's themselves are pretty much immortal
The mobo is another matter

That being said, i have yet to encounter a mobo that broke over time from a oc

There is a small risk involved, but if the mobo works, i would take it :)

Just ask your buddy how hard he oc'd it, if it was a minor/medium oc, then it should be perfectly fine
Simply put; an oc causes a component to run above spec, but this generates extra heat that needs to be dealt with, hence the need for better cooling

If improperly cooled the heat will cause damage (over time) to components such as a mobo

Just ask your buddy how hard he oc'd it, if it was a minor/medium oc, then it should be perfectly fine

Solution

MutantMike

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2015

Thanks!

He said moderate. Can you speak to a huge difference in the Zen+ AMD 1600 and and i7 5820k? I mean if close in performance might as well get the deal in used i7 right?

There is no wide performance gap between them (~10 pct) in favor of the i7

i guess it comes down to what you will use the pc for

If your useage will be gaming go for the i7

budget wise ( and also running cost) the amd is the better option

There is also the factor of ram, the amd will need ddr 4 and the i7 will need ddr3