Dec 23, 2019
I made a list with all the parts that i am going to buy for my new desktop computer. List:
CPUAMD Ryzen 7 3700X
CPU CoolerScythe Ninja 5
MotherboardMSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
Memory (RAM)Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200
Storage - SSDADATA XPG SX8200 Pro NVME 1TB M.2 SSD
Video CardSapphire Radeon RX 5700 PULSE
Casebe quiet! Silent Base 601 Orange Midi
Power SupplyCooler Master MWE Gold 550 Full Modular
When I check the parts for compatability i get the following warning and notes:
1st: Warning!Some AMD B450 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Matisse CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.
2nd: Note:The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled.
3rd: Note:Some physical dimension restrictions cannot (yet) be automatically checked, such as cpu cooler / RAM clearance with modules using tall heat spreaders.

My questions are:
  • Is it needed, with this motherboard specifically, to update the BIOS? I've read multiple websites and they say different things.
  • What does the 2nd one mean? Is there a problem in this particular build/set-up?
  • I've read that the CPU cooler is very large. Combined with all the other parts, will it fit in the desktop case?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
1. MAX version is ryzen 3000/zen 2 ready. so it will work with 3700 right out of the box.

2. it means that two of the sata ports will be disabled if you have the m.2 #1 in use and versa (usually it's the one that's further away from the cpu, you need to check the owner's manual to find out which one exactly) because those two use shares the same internal connection. the main m.2 which is right below the CPU should be fine as it's directly connected to the CPU.

3. you can try, i mean the worst case is that you use your default CPU cooler from the box. which is adequate for non OC use.

bioax

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019
For the first question, a bios upgrade is necessary and to do that, you need an older gen cpu I believe to flash the bios.
Not sure about the second question.
Third question is a yes, because your case has a max 185mm for the cpu cooler. Your cpu cooler is 182 mm, so it should be fine.

Reactions: MrBaithoven
1. MAX version is ryzen 3000/zen 2 ready. so it will work with 3700 right out of the box.

2. it means that two of the sata ports will be disabled if you have the m.2 #1 in use and versa (usually it's the one that's further away from the cpu, you need to check the owner's manual to find out which one exactly) because those two use shares the same internal connection. the main m.2 which is right below the CPU should be fine as it's directly connected to the CPU.

3. you can try, i mean the worst case is that you use your default CPU cooler from the box. which is adequate for non OC use.

Reactions: MrBaithoven
Solution