Help with determining if mobo dead

jamkor

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2012
I've read lots of threads including sticky and mobo manual. most of those are new builds. Mine is a know working build in a new case with only a couple of changes.

ASUS Z-270 Prime AR

Took working system out of case, placed into new case with new power supply and cooler - that's it. Did not touch cpu, memory, etc.

LED on but that's it (very similar to other stories). Power SW button non-responsive. No sound from speaker.

Since then - I have got it to bare bones.

• Motherboard sitting on antistatic bag.
    One stick of memory
    One drive in sata.
    Power supply passes paperclip test.
    8 pin gives 12v when paper clip in place in 24 pin. And a fan will spin if plugged into a 6-pin from PS.
    I removed one of two memory sticks and reset the other to ensure seating. Verified proper slot.
    fan plugged into cpu fan header (new cooler no longer connected to remove that variable).

Still upon PS power on, only motherboard LED, power LED on, but nothing else.

No chance that anything on back of board is shorted out.

I removed battery, but did not jumper clear mem pins.

Am I missing something super simple?

The PS must not be getting the OK to fire up the rest of the PS when connected to the mb and I cannot figure out why and it is driving me nuts.

I also connected the case power switch pins (and sata power).

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Sorry for late answer, was busy all day long. First,remove SSD from setup, all you want and this point is to boot and SSD is not required for that (and it can cause no boot when connected). Second, move the RAM stick to other slots (just in case, although I doubt it could change anything in your situation but it never hurts to try). Overall however, if the motherboard is not starting with two different PSUs most likely something bad happened to it. If I had to guess, it could be static electricity that damaged the board.
There is a trick you can try though. With 24-pin cable connected to motherboard try to jumpstart it same way as with PSU paperclip test. Although even if it starts that way it would still mean motherboard is not working...
You wrote that you used new power supply. In that case, first move is to try the system with old PSU if still available. PSU passing paperclip test means absolutely nothing, this test is only meaningful when it fails - if the PSU passes you know it is not totally dead, but that's far from knowing that it works.

jamkor

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2012
Thank you. Great suggestion and one I meant to do before posting my question. I am home now and just connected the old PS. The same situation occurred.

The only things connected: PS 24 pin, PS 8 pin, 1 mem stick, cpu fan, ssd (sata, power), speaker.

For some reason, whatever needs to happen for the power ok (pin 5) to get a signal to power up the rest of the PS is not happening. I also jumpered the CLRTC pins to clear out the CMOS.

Still stumped.

Not pretty, but this is it. I have also had it in the case as well.

Z1l6aLx_d.jpg

Sorry for late answer, was busy all day long. First,remove SSD from setup, all you want and this point is to boot and SSD is not required for that (and it can cause no boot when connected). Second, move the RAM stick to other slots (just in case, although I doubt it could change anything in your situation but it never hurts to try). Overall however, if the motherboard is not starting with two different PSUs most likely something bad happened to it. If I had to guess, it could be static electricity that damaged the board.
There is a trick you can try though. With 24-pin cable connected to motherboard try to jumpstart it same way as with PSU paperclip test. Although even if it starts that way it would still mean motherboard is not working properly - it's more of a test rather then a fix.

Solution