[SOLVED] Help With Display And GPU Problem

SmileyPooch28

Prominent
Dec 21, 2021
So something bad happened to my pc, after I opened a video game, it opened just fine up until a few minutes later when I experienced a hard crash. The display went out, messed up audio was coming out of my headset but the computer was still running. I decided to kill the computer and then restarted it again I was greeted with my screen resolution being small (1024x768) (my monitor is a 24-inch 1080p monitor btw).

I checked the device manager and it's saying that there's something wrong with the GPU driver so tried to reinstall the drivers, but it didn't work. While trying to install the driver the display cut off again so I had to restart, the second time I tried, and I got a BSOD. The third it actually installed but it was still not working, the Nvidia control panel was not showing up in the tray and in the context menu and the resolution was still not fixed. So nothing I tried work,

I was thinking that my GPU(GTX 560ti - its old as heck now) may have died on me, but I'm curious because my monitor is still connected to the GPU but its still displaying in the monitor albeit in a small resolution. I can still use the computer while its plugged to the GPU, I can watch youtube just fine, its just the screen is small. The GPU is still lighting up just fine and the fan is still spinning. So is it broken I can't get Nvidia to work and now when I check the device manager, the "Display Adapter" section is now gone. So what do you guys think?

Any help and replies will be appreciated. Thank you all.

The specs of my computer is:
CPU: i5-4570
GPU: GTX560TI
Ram: 8GB
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-DGS
HDD and SSD Setup

View: https://imgur.com/a/NgQaF2z

Solution
I was thinking that my GPU(GTX 560ti - its old as heck now) may have died on me, but I'm curious because my monitor is still connected to the GPU but its still displaying in the monitor albeit in a small resolution. I can still use the computer while its plugged to the GPU, I can watch youtube just fine, its just the screen is small. The GPU is still lighting up just fine and the fan is still spinning. So is it broken I can't get Nvidia to work and now when I check the device manager, the "Display Adapter" section is now gone. So what do you guys think?
this definitely seems like a malfunctioned graphics card.

find a friend, family member, neighbor, coworker, etc that has a GPU you can use for some quick troubleshooting.
if...

jasonf2

Distinguished
There is a good possibility that your card or possibly your psu is dying. I would try to reseat the card on the pcie bus first and reseat power connectors if that doesn't work test swap the psu and then gpu. The reason that your resolution is messed up is that windows is loading a generic driver for stability. The higher res settings won't be available until you get the gpu drivers loaded successfully. This is problematic though because either the driver load up is pulling power a little harder and / or accessing the bad part of the gpu card. I am leaning toward the gpu, but I would definitely test the psu first with a spare if you have one.

Reactions: SmileyPooch28

SmileyPooch28

Prominent
Dec 21, 2021
There is a good possibility that your card or possibly your psu is dying. I would try to reseat the card on the pcie bus first and reseat power connectors if that doesn't work test swap the psu and then gpu. The reason that your resolution is messed up is that windows is loading a generic driver for stability. The higher res settings won't be available until you get the gpu drivers loaded successfully. This is problematic though because either the driver load up is pulling power a little harder and / or accessing the bad part of the gpu card. I am leaning toward the gpu, but I would definitely test the psu first with a spare if you have one.

tried reseating the card many times, but nothing happened. Unfortunately I have no spare power supply with me to test my psu. Everything else seems to be fine though.

find a friend, family member, neighbor, coworker, etc that has a GPU you can use for some quick troubleshooting.
if their card works and your display issues are gone; you know for sure it was the GPU.
messed up audio was coming out of my headset
are you running audio through the display;
GPU HDMI/DP > monitor > 3.5mm to headset?

Solution

SmileyPooch28

Prominent
Dec 21, 2021

if their card works and your display issues are gone; you know for sure it was the GPU.

Dang I also don't have a spare GPU and I don't know anyone that has one. And no, I'm not running my audio through the display, It's plugged through the jack at the back of the PC.

messed up audio was coming out of my headset ...
I'm not running my audio through the display
a malfunctioning GPU can cause a system-wide crash
but most of my experiences have been only artifacting with a frozen screen or just a switch to "No Signal" with fans & LEDs on the cards freezing or dying.

opens up the possibility for motherboard issue.
i guess audio has been working fine since?

also include the make & model of your power supply and the time in use.

SmileyPooch28

Prominent
Dec 21, 2021
but most of my experiences have been only artifacting with a frozen screen or just a switch to "No Signal" with fans & LEDs on the cards freezing or dying.

i guess audio has been working fine since?

also include the make & model of your power supply and the time in use.

Audio is working just fine, including everything else. My PSU is a topower TOP-500D 80PLUS Bronze. Time in use unknown.
Planning to have my PC looked at by someone today.

"topower"?
never seen or heard of it. would guess it's just some unreliable generic garbage.

and time of use is unknown?
does this mean it was used when you got it?

whether it is the culprit here or not i would get rid of that junk ASAP.
the PSU is the main source of all of your components power and the easiest in the line to fail and take out other components with it or to just damage them with no sign of being the cause.

for finding a reliable trustworthy power supply replacement here's a quick list of some to look for and some to avoid:

jasonf2

Distinguished

The audio issue isn't that uncommon when a system locks up mid game. Not really indicative of anything except the pc froze.

The audio issue isn't that uncommon when a system locks up mid game. Not really indicative of anything except the pc froze.
and as i stated,
which would be indicative of a frozen system.
but,
and we have already determined that the system is functioning fine besides corrupt display resolution options.
so what exactly are you bringing to the discussion?

jasonf2

Distinguished
and as i stated,
which would be indicative of a frozen system.
but,
and we have already determined that the system is functioning fine besides corrupt display resolution options.
so what exactly are you bringing to the discussion?
Nothing specifically other than the fact that the distorted audio that the eu had mentioned is more than likely just part of the system crash he experienced, not a bad motherboard component. The fact that the gpu driver crashed, and is unable to be reinstalled clean without crashing the system points to a very high chance that the GPU is bad. But as I mentioned before the psu can still be the issue if it is getting weak because warming up the GPU causes a pretty good increase in the system power draw. With windows default failover drivers the GPU is so limited that the problem would more than likely not exhibit itself. The fact that the system is operating at current state puts the motherboard at about the third or forth level of probability. The fact the PSU is an off brand with some age on it makes it just as suspect as the GPU to me at this point. Regardless of the fact the EU will have to swap some parts to figure out which of them is bad.

TRENDING THREADS