[SOLVED] Help with Display please!

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Hey everyone,
I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue or not but when sometime within the last few hours my display has changed and when I go to change it back, I only have 2 resolution settings. Both in windows setting and in the Nvidia control panel. I used to have a ton. I have 2 monitors on extend and all my windows are partly on both screens. What do you think happened, how do I fix it?!?!?

Last edited:
Solution
Does that tell you anything?
i would guess from the limited info that this TV just doesn't support anything outside of the two resolutions.
very possible that when you saw this earlier it was just that you were only looking at the monitor's resolution and not both.

i have a 4K 120Hz television & a 2K 120Hz monitor connected.
when using both display simultaneously they can only continue to operate at their rated specs in "mirrored" mode or whatever it is.
when using extended mode the TV has to be set at 1440p to properly display fullscreen games across both screens, etc.

but even with DSR enabled in Nvidia Control Panel the TV only shows options for 1440, 2160, & 4320.
not the 10+ resolutions that my monitor shows.

Lutfij

Titan
Could be a corruption with your OS or drivers, see if you have any updates pending for your OS. If it's up to date, check to see that you're on the latest BISO version for your motherboard. If that's updated, download the latest GPU driver from GPU maker's support site(AMD/Nvidia), then use DDU to uninstall all drivers, boot to Safe Mode then manually install said driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Please mention the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

if the specs to your build that's afflicted with the issue is listed in your sig space, please find it in your heart to include that in your thread's body since sig space specs can and will change over time, rendering this thread and any possible solutions moot to the person in the same boat as you're in at the moment.

if you haven't within the time period this has been happening; restart the system and check again.

if this doesn't have an affect;
shutdown and have only a single display attached. boot back up and see if the usual resolution options return.
if so, shut down the system again and reattach the second monitor and then boot up again to see if things are totally back to normal.

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Hey Lutfij.
Thank you for the response. Most of that info is in my sig space. Are you not seeing it? it's Windows 10, SSD drive, 16 gigs RAM. 850 watt PSU. NVidia 1070 mini. Everything is up to date and I just pulled the case apart and I think the used 1070 I bought on ebay a few months back has died. There's no light and the fans are not moving. Any troubleshooting ideas on that?

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
if you haven't within the time period this has been happening; restart the system and check again.

if this doesn't have an affect;
shutdown and have only a single display attached. boot back up and see if the usual resolution options return.
if so, shut down the system again and reattach the second monitor and then boot up again to see if things are totally back to normal.
Hey John, thank you! I unplugged the other monitor and rebooted. When it first booted up, both display fans went on then turned off and I still only have 2 resolutions. My CPU doesn't have display so if it were a dead GPU how would I have ANY display at all?

the used 1070 I bought on ebay a few months back has died. There's no light and the fans are not moving. Any troubleshooting ideas on that?
if the GPU has died you'd have no display whatsoever.
unless you are connected to the iGPU through the rear I\O panel.
this would mean that you have not been using your dedicated GTX 1070 all this time.
I unplugged the other monitor and rebooted. When it first booted up, both display fans went on then turned off and I still only have 2 resolutions.
this wouldn't be possible if the 1070 is dead as you previously mentioned.

make sure you have everything connected properly.

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
if the GPU has died you'd have no display whatsoever.
unless you are connected to the iGPU through the rear I\O panel.
this would mean that you have not been using your dedicated GTX 1070 all this time.

this wouldn't be possible if the 1070 is dead as you previously mentioned.

make sure you have everything connected properly.
This is so weird. There is no iGPU on the Ryzen 7 (Bonehead move there) Both monitors were plugged into the card. Let me try unplugging my main Monitor, (which is a television btw.) and just plugging in the secondary. I'll let you know.

it's possible that it is just a failing card.
they can start producing odd results depending on the internal malfunction.
can also just be a corrupt driver or system files.

as Lutfij mentioned,
still try removing all graphics related drivers, files, settings with DDU in Safe Mode.
upon reboot reinstall the latest available driver package from Nvidia.

if this has no affect you can also try a fresh OS install, many times it can solve odd issues like this:

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
it's possible that it is just a failing card.
they can start producing odd results depending on the internal malfunction.
can also just be a corrupt driver or system files.

as Lutfij mentioned,
still try removing all graphics related drivers, files, settings with DDU in Safe Mode.
upon reboot reinstall the latest available driver package from Nvidia.

if this has no affect you can also try a fresh OS install, many times it can solve odd issues like this:
Okay so I unplugged the main monitor/TV and plugged in the other and that seemed to do the trick. All the resolutions were back. HOWEVER, when I plugged the tv back in it was back to 2 resolutions. But I still have all the resolutions on the other monitor. It was probably that way in the beginning of the issue. only 2 resolutions on the one display and a bunch on the other. Originally I was working with all resolutions on both display up until a few hours ago. Does that tell you anything?

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
And the TV is plugged in using an HDMI to Display port cable. It's always worked just fine but thought it might be worth mentioning. Let me try another monitor with HDMI to HDMI. Assuming this card has 2 hdmi imputs.

Does that tell you anything?
i would guess from the limited info that this TV just doesn't support anything outside of the two resolutions.
very possible that when you saw this earlier it was just that you were only looking at the monitor's resolution and not both.

when using both display simultaneously they can only continue to operate at their rated specs in "mirrored" mode or whatever it is.
when using extended mode the TV has to be set at 1440p to properly display fullscreen games across both screens, etc.

but even with DSR enabled in Nvidia Control Panel the TV only shows options for 1440, 2160, & 4320.

Solution

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

Makes sense but the TV definitely had all the 10+ resolutions earlier as that's my main monitor. It IS the TV though. It has to be in the HDMI port itself. I tried another monitor using the same HDMI to Display port cable and got all the resolutions. Going back to the TV, I switched the cable from HDMI 3 to HDMI 1 and no signal whatsoever so apparently that port is bad. Then I switched it from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 where my roku was plugged in and voila! I have ALL the resolutions!! Go figure!! Thank the good Lord it wasn't the GPU. Are they still wicked expensive?

Are they still wicked expensive?
the newest series of both Nvidia & AMD have climbed in relation to the last couple series of cards.
that should be somewhat expected though, launch price of the GTX 1080 was less than the RTX 2080's.

but yes, most of the cards you will find out there are way overpriced by scalpers that have scooped up the majority of available cards.
plus silicon shortages and other factors also raising prices...
this has also led to the majority of even used cards to be quite a bit more than they were previously.