Help with Dream Build PC for a Very Specific Need

Oct 6, 2018
I need to design a mega PC for work. My job is website application test automation, which basically means I write scripts that automate functions in chrome to test websites.

At 12 Chrome instances my PC is bouncing between 65% and 100% CPU usage and RAM is maxed. However am I wrong in thinking that it isn't so simple as to add more power? I was reading about cores and threads more and seems to reflect what these Chrome instances are needing.

The goal is to get a PC stable at running 50 Chrome instances and my company gave me a $5K budget.

Thanks for the help.

Solution
Yes, the AMD Threadripper models are not only a great place to start but also the best place to go.

AMD Ryzen CPUs offer a superior multi-threaded performance as opposed to Intel's superior single-threaded performance.

FYI, all desktop applications thrive on multi-threaded performance so the AMD Threadripper is the perfect choice here.

You may want to look at something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 2990WX 3GHz 32-Core Processor ($1748.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake - Water 3.0 Ultimate 99.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($118.54 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly - Kryonaut 1g 1g Thermal Paste ($9.88 @...
Yes, the AMD Threadripper models are not only a great place to start but also the best place to go.

AMD Ryzen CPUs offer a superior multi-threaded performance as opposed to Intel's superior single-threaded performance.

FYI, all desktop applications thrive on multi-threaded performance so the AMD Threadripper is the perfect choice here.

You may want to look at something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 2990WX 3GHz 32-Core Processor ($1748.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake - Water 3.0 Ultimate 99.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($118.54 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly - Kryonaut 1g 1g Thermal Paste ($9.88 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG ZENITH EXTREME EATX TR4 Motherboard ($537.00 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 128GB (8 x 16GB) DDR4-3466 Memory ($1699.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PNY - Quadro P2000 5GB Video Card ($408.48 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: Corsair - 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($209.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $4732.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-06 18:33 EDT-0400

I don't know if a good graphics card is important for your programs or not but the Quadro P2000 is very powerful. Alternatively the K1200 could work if you don't need something powerful. If you need something even more powerful, just get higher Quadro "P" models (P4000, P6000).

I only included important parts and left out storage options.

Also left out the case depending on your needs but do keep in mind that it needs to support a 360 liquid cooler that ideally needs to be mounted on the front of the case.

You may want to look at some Noctua options for case fans (high CFM for case fan / high static pressure if you'd like to replace the stock fans on the liquid cooler). I don't know if noise is an issue for you but Noctua's industrial fans would be the best options here (FYI, it starts to get pretty loud on 40 decibels).

Solution