Help with DV purchase please

Hi folks! This is basically a plea for some information regarding my
impending purchase of a camcorder.

I am looking at something in the $500 - $600 range and have a couple
of questions...

-My computer does not have a firewire port. Would I have to get one,
or can I just plug any camcorder in via the USB port? If I need
firewire, how much does it cost? I have a p4 2.4gz machine. Is USB
transfer slow?

-A friend of mine has a DV camera and says that when he transfers to
his computer, the files are EXTREMELY large. Is there good software
for compressing it? Or will it be inherently large?

-AFTER editing my movies on the computer, I would like to be able to
put them on VHS. How would I do this? Can I transfer it via USB back
to the camera and then plug the camera into the VCR? If I wanted to
put them on DVD how much is a DVD burner these days?

-I'd like to get a camera on eBay. Can anybody recommend a good model
that's perhaps a TINY bit outdated - so that it would be cheaper
online but still a good camera? I was looking at a Canon ZR80 in
Future Shop and thought perhaps it's predesessor might be almost as
good?

I know I sound like an ignoramus but I would REALLY APPRECIATE any
assistance you wise people could give me :)

Thanks in advance,

Nick

In news:Nicolas Anbeek <pelted-planet@sympatico.ca> typed:
> Hi folks! This is basically a plea for some information regarding my
> impending purchase of a camcorder.
>
> I am looking at something in the $500 - $600 range and have a couple
> of questions...
>
> -My computer does not have a firewire port. Would I have to get one,
> or can I just plug any camcorder in via the USB port? If I need
> firewire, how much does it cost? I have a p4 2.4gz machine. Is USB
> transfer slow?

Not just slow, most camcorder either don't offer USB transfer or if they
do, they halve the resolution. DV transfer is done trough firewire,
period.

> -A friend of mine has a DV camera and says that when he transfers to
> his computer, the files are EXTREMELY large. Is there good software
> for compressing it? Or will it be inherently large?

DV is already compressed, about 13 Gig/hour, which is not bad at all.
Compressing any further should be reserved for the final output only,
like DVD's.

> -AFTER editing my movies on the computer, I would like to be able to
> put them on VHS. How would I do this? Can I transfer it via USB back
> to the camera and then plug the camera into the VCR? If I wanted to
> put them on DVD how much is a DVD burner these days?

Here we go with USB again. When your done editing, just print back to
tape trough firewire. You can then use the camera passtrough function if
it as it to record to VCR at the same time or rewind and play the
camcorder to the VCR if it hasn't. But outputing to DVD would give you a
lot better quality, and blank DVD's are now cheaper than VHS cassette.

> -I'd like to get a camera on eBay. Can anybody recommend a good model
> that's perhaps a TINY bit outdated - so that it would be cheaper
> online but still a good camera? I was looking at a Canon ZR80 in
> Future Shop and thought perhaps it's predesessor might be almost as
> good?

I would never buy a consumer type of camcorder used trough Ebay. Theses
items are fragile, complex little things, there is no way to know the
hours it has under it's belt (things like recording head do wear down)
and repairs are expensive and could negate, and more, any savings you
would have had at purchase; Too much of a gamble for me, but hey, to
each it's own.

--
www.odysea.ca

While my data on camcorders is a bit outdated (I have the Sony TRV520
that is a D8 not DV), you will definitely need a firewire
card (OHCI compliant) which is down in the $40 range
or so these days. Some come with editing software too.
As far as your question about "extremely large files" from
the camera -- it is about 13 gigs per hour. There are other
formats that are much bigger !!, but dv is about 13 gig / hour.
If that seems HUGE to you, you need more disk space
since editing is like garage space (you will fill what ever
you have + 10%). Be aware that converting from DV when
you are done editing to Mpeg2 format (for DVD) is
VERY processor intensive (overnight works best !).
On a 1.8 ghz processor with 512 meg of RAM, it takes
me about 3 hours for every hour of DV to render to
the DVD format. Hope that helps some ..

--
Mike "mikey" Fields
http://home.comcast.net/~mike.fields/

Linux users brag on how long their system stays up,
Window users assume it's a temporary condition ...