Help with fan control

zacw

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
Hey guys, so after discovering that Asus AI suite 3 increases my start up boot time by roughly 15 seconds, it also has useless temperature monitoring sensors I decided to uninstall it.

Problem I am now facing is that there is no software that can recognize any fans plugged into my motherboard.

I have tried speedfan, HWmonitor, smc fan control and absolutely none of them work. I have tried looking through forums, plenty of people have this issue yet there are no answers I found.

Currently I have fan profiles set in my bios with minimum being 60% fan speed allowed which I think is ridiculous. So for example I have it set so they run at 100% at 60 degrees and 60% at 20 degrees so in theory the fans would change speed according to temperatures. Well despite my bios settings being set correctly they just run 100% all the time and with 10 fans in my computer it's quite loud.

So my question is have Asus designed their boards so you are forced to use FanXpert 2 or is their some other mystery as to why no other program can detect my fans. This is incredibly frustrating.

Would appreciate any help

cheers,

zacw

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013

I have used it since I built my computer and have slowly started developing hatred towards particular features. 15 seconds is 2x my boot time. so it actually accounts for 2/3 of my start up time. From the moment I press my power button to it posting windows is roughly 6 seconds. Now why I care about start up time my computer is$4000 AUD I didn't pay for the best money can buy and have it running slower, AI suite also contributes to some FPS loss.
Anyway the reason it is bad, is that if your running a stress testing program for overclocking it becomes essentially unusable. It's refresh period of temperatures is far to long and erratic so with a 4.8 Ghz oc my temperatures go from idle 25 degrees to spiking to 40-90 depending on the task and AI suite can't keep up with that. It also records my temperatures being 20 degrees cooler under load then what they actually are so fan xpert 2 is useless and the reason for this is the ill thought placement of the temperature sensors. Anyway the list goes on, AI suite is bad HWmonitor and CPUID and lots of alternate programs can supply you with all of your systems required information. The only problem I have is finding something with fan control.

And a fan controller wouldn't work, as I have 1x 140mm cougar, 2x 120mm cougar, 2x noctua nf-p12, 1x noctua 140mm, 1x cooler master stock case fan 120 mm, and 1x coolermaster 140mm stock case fan. in other words I have far to many different fan types.

So with that being said my only choice is to use my motherboard fan headers, which I have the asus v1 formula which is well equipped for the job.

Plusthinking Iq

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
a new z97 board from asus should help, the new fan expert 3 is better and support more fans. its not that much more expensive than a fan controller.
still the old fanexpert 2 is the best fan control software when it was out. but add 15sec to startup is a bit odd, and fps loss, have you heard if its a motherboard malfunction? you should send it back and get it fixed,