help with fan hub

lockdown744

Honorable
Sep 14, 2017
i am going to buy a pwm fan hub since i only have 2 4-pin header in my mobo,1 for the cpu fan, and 1 for the chassis fan, while i searching i saw some generic pwm fan hub which are so much cheaper than the branded one like corsair commander, is there a significant difference between a generic and a branded one? is the premium price worth it?
thanks for the info im new to this kind of stuff so any comment will be appreciated

Solution
WAIT! I'll make two points.

1. The vast majority of fan Hubs can ONLY work with a true 4-pin fan system. That means you must have only 4-pin fans for it (we're only talking about the case vent fans here, not the CPU cooler) AND the mobo CHA_FAN header MUST be using PWM Mode to control its fans. Unfortunately, you cannot tell about the Mode from the number of pins on the header. There are a lot of mobos now that use only 4-pin headers but do NOT use PWM Mode on them. To help with that, post back here the maker and exact model number (and rev. no., if any) of your mobo. We can look up its manual and advise how to make this work.

A Hub is a pretty simple device with no active electronics in it. It has three types of connections. One...

lockdown744

Honorable
Sep 14, 2017

i saw one around 5 dollars only

lockdown744

Honorable
Sep 14, 2017

what could you suggest to me? i saw a 12 dollar silverstone fan hub should i go for that one is it worth it?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
WAIT! I'll make two points.

1. The vast majority of fan Hubs can ONLY work with a true 4-pin fan system. That means you must have only 4-pin fans for it (we're only talking about the case vent fans here, not the CPU cooler) AND the mobo CHA_FAN header MUST be using PWM Mode to control its fans. Unfortunately, you cannot tell about the Mode from the number of pins on the header. There are a lot of mobos now that use only 4-pin headers but do NOT use PWM Mode on them. To help with that, post back here the maker and exact model number (and rev. no., if any) of your mobo. We can look up its manual and advise how to make this work.

A Hub is a pretty simple device with no active electronics in it. It has three types of connections. One plugs into a power output connector (either 4-pin Molex or SATA) from the PSU to provide all the power for the fans. The Hub merely connects all of its output ports in parallel to that power source. It has one arm that plugs into the host mobo's CHA_FAN header and that does two things. It picks up the PWM signal from that header and the Hub merely connects that to all of its output ports in parallel so all of the fans share that same control signal. Plus, it takes the speed signal from the fan connected to ONE of its output ports and feeds that back to the mobo header for counting/display. Like any other such device, it does not send back to the mobo all of the fans' speeds, because the header cannot handle more than one signal. See, nothing sophisticated there.

Regarding quality, the considerations are whether the connections are all made properly, and whether the device is mechanically sturdy enough. Not hard to meet, but anything could be faulty.

Hubs come in three common appearances. The box with ports on it, like the Silverstone unit, has the components hidden and protected. NOTE that the Corsair Commander (Mini or PRO) units are much more than a fan Hub. They do many more functions in cooperation with the Corsair LINK software utility and can take over control of fans without relying on the mobo's built-in systems. A second type looks like a simple circuit board with no cover, and a group of 4-pin fan headers you plug your fans into. The third type looks like just a group of wire arms - one to the PSU, one to the mobo header, and several with male fan output connectors. This latter wires-only type often is much cheaper, but it does exactly the same job.

2. A SPLITTER is a different type of device. Usually it looks like the arms-of-wires-only type, although some are made in the open circuit board design. The distinguishing feature of these items is that they have NO third arm to plug into a PSU output. This device relies entirely on the mobo's fan header for power to all the fans connected to it, so it is limited to that header's maximum output of 1.0 A total to all its fans. However, it CAN work for either 3-pin or 4-pin fans. BUT there's a limiting factor there, too. Any 3-pin fan plugged into a 4-pin header that actually is using the PWM Mode (whether directly or via a Splitter or Hub) cannot be speed controlled; it will always run at full speed.

Just to provide confusion, NOTE that many sellers of HUBS call them SPLITTERS, which I consider a mistake. Remember that a HUB has that extra connection arm to the PSU that a Splitter does not. But for you, OP, include in your search things called Splitters, and then decide for yourself from its specs what it really is.

Based on what we find in the manual for your mobo, we can advise what device it can work with. But we ALSO need to know what type of FAN you plan to use - 3-pin or 4-pin?

Solution

lockdown744

Honorable
Sep 14, 2017

I have an asrock b350m pro4 motherboard
it have 2 4 pin headers,1 for the cpu and 1 for the chassis and 1 3pin(i dont intend to use it)
I have 6 4pin fans already but not yet installed since i dont have enough headers

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
According to the pinout diagram for your mobo - manual here

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/AB350M%20Pro4.pdf

on p. 30, the CHA_FAN1 header uses PWM Mode, so that is the header you must use for a 4-pin fan HUB. You are right to ignore the CHA_FAN2 header with only 3 pins - it cannot be used with a Hub. Since you plan to use only 4-pin fans, this is the right way to go.

You say you have six 4-pin fans. I'm not clear whether all of those are for case ventilation, or does that include one or two used on the CPU? Whichever, you will need a Hub with enough outputs to feed all the case fans. The CPU cooler fan(s) will be connected separately to the CPU_FAN header. IF you are using more than one fan on the CPU, post back here for advice on how to connect.

So the Hub's female fan connector lead will go to the mobo CHA_FAN1 header, its power lead will connect to a PSU output connector, and the case fans will all connect to outputs from the Hub. ONE of those fans must be connected to the only output that sends the speed signal back to the mobo. See your manual on p. 62. Set the CHA_FAN1 Setting to Standard so it will use its automatic control system, and set its Temp Source to the sensor on the motherboard, not the sensor inside the CPU chip. Remember to SAVE and EXIT to same these settings.

lockdown744

Honorable
Sep 14, 2017

As fas as i know asrock has a tunning system and based on other forums it is where i can adjust my fan curve. I have 6 4pin fans all for the chassis only and 1 cpu fan. Thank you for the advice.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, most mobo on-board automatic control systems for fans have the option to set your own "fan curve". What that means is that you can customize several points along a graph of what speed (actually, % of max speed) the fan should run at for a specified temperature measured by the sensor. If you are not familiar with this, I suggest you start by letting it use the pre-programmed "standard" curve at first, then experiment with your custom curve after you have the system running smoothly.

Thanks for Best Solution.