Question Help With Figuring Out GPU Voltages

May 1, 2023
hello, I have an RTX 3070 with a Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W, I have not done any sort of overclocking or anything to the card outside of custom fan curves in MSI Afterburner. I would like help with figuring out how acceptable my GPU's voltage fluctuations are;

when I'm idle, I usually sit at around 0.6v on the Core Voltage, and sometimes it will spike up to 0.9v, which drops the +12v PCIe Voltage from 12v to 11.9v. from what I can tell, it doesn't seem to spike if I turn off Hardware Acceleration on Chrome

this is the behavior of the Core Voltage and PCIe Voltage while playing Destiny 2:
View: https://imgur.com/tyemThV

this is the behavior of the Core Voltage and PCIe Voltage while playing Elden Ring:
View: https://imgur.com/mTiqoPG

whenever it hits 0.9v and beyond, the +12v PCIe will drop to 11.9; as you can see in the Elden Ring screenshot, it does not drop while the Core Voltage is at 0.7v. also, when I'm alt tabbed in Destiny 2, the voltage frequently goes up to 0.9 in waves, although there is a 30fps Background Application cap set on the game

do I need to act on this or is it normal to see everything I've just described and shown? I play Destiny 2 windowed and Elden Ring fullscreened if that has any effect here

Last edited:
May 1, 2023
Yes, because the video card needs that voltage to run at a certain clock speed. The GPU is not designed to run at 0.6V nominal. It's designed to run at around 1.1V nominal.

Anything lower is just for power saving.
I've had the gpu for about 3 or 4 months and it's always run in this kind of voltage range. even if it is a case of power saving, the frequent spikes are not a sign of failure or anything, right?

May 1, 2023
No, they're not. The card's behaving normally.
ah, I must have misinterpreted your previous reply then? I asked if it was a bad sign and you replied yes

to be honest, I've never really run higher than 1v on this card unless I was putting it under a much heavier stress load or, on a more uncommon occasion, it spikes to ~1.08, I haven't really noticed anything significant in terms of negative performance in the time I've had it