Question Help with file move from SSD to SSD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Walt1227

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
I recently upgraded to win 10 after boot issues with win 8 OS on SSD. I put win 10 on a new SSD and want to move my files from the old SSD with win 8. Some files will move that are from 3rd party but my personal files like documents, photos, video etc.., won't move. I get the Error 0x800701B1: A device which does not exist was specified when trying to move personal files. Anybody had this issue before and know how to fix it to move files from one SSD to another?

Walt1227

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013

mazooni

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013

cat1092

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
As long as one has a free GMail account, can download & install Backup & Sync, these (should) put your personal files on their servers.:)

They give a generous 15GB of space, more than enough room for many. This is one reason why I keep most all of my documents, pictures & downloads on a separate data drive. When possible, it's best to keep personal files off of the OS drive. Although these should still be backed up regularly, by software, or storing a copy of at least one other drive, preferably an external & not in the same dwelling as the computer.

As @USAFRet was saying, booting to a Linux distro & move those files to an external should be the best & easy option. I've had to do this during Malware cleanup for others to preserve their data prior to secure erase & clean installing the OS.

Cat

Walt1227

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Thanks for all of the advice guys! So I bought a new 860 EVO 500GB for the OS and Sabrent 2.5" to SATA USB 3.0 external hard rive enclosure for that SSD that would not boot. Check this........ soon as I put the SSD into that external enclosure and plugged it into my USB port all of my pictures, videos, and documents were available to use without any issue. I am going to try moving them to another drive this evening and then do a format of that SSD and use it as a spare or backup. It's weird how it would not work off of the SATA ports inside the computer but soon as it gets connect via USB bam everything is readable.

TRENDING THREADS