Help with freezing Thunderbird

G

HELP! I have a 850 Thunderbird, abit kt7 raid, elsa gladiac 256, and a SB live value. I am running win 2k and every once in a while my computer freezes totaly. A reset button is nessary. this problem often occurs during burning mp3s but it has occured under normal operating conditions. One interesting note is that when the computer is rebooted the bios information is also messed up (some of it, like the ram check was messed up once, when i mean messed i mean that funny looking characters appear) This bios problem leads me to believe that it is a cpu problem not a win 2k problem. Also when i first got my cpu i think that i overheated it a few times (thermal pad was inadequete, needed thermal compound). could my cpu be permenantly messed up? thanks -M

G

If you think you overheated the CPU at one time it could be showing it's ugly head to you, but it could of also done something to the board upon the overheating. You might try to Flash the Bios or try using some different memory, as bad or incompatible memory will just give a problem here or there and crash the computer, locking it up.

G

well i checked the bios and the temp is 31 C. that was after using it for a while and then restarting to get into the bios. as for the ram...the motherboard chip and ram were all bought at tufshop.com with the guarentee that there will be compatablity..plus i bought the good stuff that was recomended for amds...256 Mb PC 133 8 NS major on 3rd server approved / 222 k with spd...i believe that i have the latest bios but i will double check. any other ideas. thanks Matt

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your cpu temp is fine the problems you describe is most likely a memory problem could be either your main memory or the memory in the video card. this will cause the screen distortions you described. Even the good stuff will go bad at times.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

ok i am not a novice to computer but i have win 2k running (installed a month ago, still finding my way around) so how do i flash bios when there is no dos? also for clarification, total freezeup of the computer is a possible memory thing? i will have to check the memory...thanks

G

Have a check on your IDE(on the drives) settings I had a similar problem when I firt put together one of my machines withe the cd and the cdr both claiming to be masters on the IDE chain.

M

one of the first UK T-Bird users....

G

i have the harddrive and the CD rom connected to IDE 1 and the Burner and the ZIP connected on IDE2. everything works normally for a while (couple days) then the computer just freezes up...I dont think that the IDE settings are having problems but i will have to check...-thanks Matt

50% of Americans....are idiots...T.F.

seanmcne

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Check your sound drivers and your video drivers, i had a similar problem and after I got new sound drivers I was alright, good luck!

-=-Sean-=-
I hate picking fights... but it's so fun :smile:

G

yep double check teh jumpers on the drives , don't trust the cable select option explicitly mark the positions of them ...

M

one of the first UK T-Bird users....

G

could you please point me to this patch?????

If you Overclock an Intel Processor fast enough, it will turn into an AMD. True Story.

G

ok checked the jumps, they were good. I think that the AMD patch might do the trick. Since the problem is random and there is a patch for Win 2k in reguards to the processor and the video card i think i might be in the clear. of course the computer has only been on for 2 minutes. i will leave it on and see how it runs. anyone need the patch it is http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/athlon-duron/amd_win2k_patch.html . i hope that others have had this random freezing problem and have found this patch to work. I am keeping my fingers crossed. i will keep you posted on the stablity. thanks Matt

G

One more thing. get the via 4 in 1 chipset patch. this is the updated version of the software . www.via.com

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That 4-in-1 patch is what solved my problems. I had a P3 750MHz Win2K computer that would just lock up every so often for no reason whatsoever. (At least it seemed to be no reason.) Everything checked out fine hardware wise.

Then one day I use the VIA fix-all and it started working fine again. (Well, it locked up once after that, but that could have been a fluke since it has been over a month with no lockup.)

It's just one of the many reasons why I don't like VIA.

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.