Question Help With Fried Laptop (Lenovo T410s) Fan Connector

Master_12

Reputable
Jul 22, 2017
Many months ago, I was doing a small project with a lenovo t410s when I accidentally shorted out the laptop fan port's pins for a split second. So, whenever the laptop turned on, it displayed "fan error" and the cooling fan did not work. It also immediately shut down following the error. I tried modding and putting a different fan but no luck. With multi-meter, turned out there is no power at all in the fan connector when the laptop turned on. Its a 3 pin connector and none of the pins received any voltage.

Now that I have some time on my hands, I really want to at least attempt in fixing this issue. If nothing, I am going to be throwing it out anyways. So, when I posted long ago, a mod responded that I "knocked out the point where the power is delivered to the fan via the motherboard. You will now need to inspect the board around the CPU fan connector inch by inch to verify which power delivery module you knocked out."

I tried to find the schematic and I may have found it on this drive link. On page 71, there is a schematic regarding the fan connector (I think). I see a fuse in the schematic but Idk where it is on the actual board I have here (sorry for zoomed/blurry pic). Anyways, maybe I am wrong about the fuse.

Could someone please please help me in identifying the problem and solving it?

Million Thanks!!!!!!

Lutfij

Titan
You will need to arduously trace the PCB to find the source of power to the fan connector. Most likely you've damaged a SMD/capacitor that delivers power to said fan, but like I said you will have to trace the source of the power, meaning you're going to have to probe that PCB, till you come across a series of resistors/capacitors/SMD's that either are burnt or dead but have power behind them, not in front of them.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The simplest way I could put it would be to take a meter and put it on the continuity setting. Put one end on the connector and use your eyes and the diagram to follow back to where continuity stops...keeping in mind that certain electrical components do that by design...
Since this is a well outdated machine that you are basically at no loss to further damage, it should be a great project to fool around and (perhaps) learn something with. If you fix it, yay you and if not it goes in the bin where it was headed anyway.