Question Help with gaming PC crashing / BSOD

Jul 28, 2021
Hi Guys

I'm looking at a PC for someone and need some assistance as when he's playing games (in this instance Rainbow SS) he's causing it to lock up and BSOD after so long.

Spec:

Mobo: MSI Z97-G43 Gaming
CPU: Intel i7-4790K
Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB DDR3L 1867)
SSD and HDD
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970

This far i've ensured it's up to date with the latest Win 10.

Installed latest drivers, reinstalled GPU drivers.

Reseated memory, CPU and reapplied thermal paste

I used memtest86 on both sticks individually and stick 1 came back with errors - ran this several times. Stick 2, no errors.

I have used Furmark for 30 mins and it didnt BSOD.

I've used Prime95 on both sticks seperately and the PC is BSOD.

"CLOCK WATCHDOG TIMEOUT"

I've reset BIOS just in case there was any overclocking.

I cannot update the BIOS and Zoostorm will not give it to me.

Now im getting BSOD error when performing prime95 test

WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR pshed.dll .

Any advice would be great.

Last edited:

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
here's the thread with exactly the same problem, which gives a very good explanation on what's happening

Jul 28, 2021
here's the thread with exactly the same problem, which gives a very good explanation on what's happening

Yes i read this first thats how I got to know to use the tools.

Havent gone driver verifier though.

Decided to reinstall Windows and perform tests again to see if i can force it to BSOD.

Hello, and welcome ! From the description of your BSOD issue, I suspect it's your RAM stick behind this, IMO (but not fully sure). Try replacing the RAM sticks, and then re-test the PC.

WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR pshed.dll is a Blue Screen error that makes the computer perform an immediate restart. It has a bug check value of 0x124 and indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. WHEA stands for Windows Hardware Error Architecture.

Jul 28, 2021
Hello, and welcome ! From the description of your BSOD issue, I suspect it's your RAM stick behind this. Try replacing the RAM sticks, and then re-test the PC.

WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR pshed.dll is a Blue Screen error that makes the computer perform an immediate restart. It has a bug check value of 0x124 and indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. WHEA stands for Windows Hardware Error Architecture.
I would have believed this too but it also BSOD on the stick of RAM which passed the memtest

Jul 28, 2021
So at the moment i've done a fresh install and let Windows Updates get all my drivers.

I've reset BIOS back to default settings.

I'm not going to run any driver updating tool as I had done that on the previous installation and it didnt work.

At this point I need to stress RAM, CPU and GPU again to see if I can get a BSOD again.

But any and all advice is appreciated.

And I just reset CMOS via jumpers.

Last edited: