[SOLVED] Help with getting wraith stealth to run cooler

JustKun

Reputable
Jun 6, 2016
I’m going to do a pc build with a ryzen 5 3600 and I plan on using the stock cooler (wraith stealth). I’ve heard that the wraith stealth makes the cpu run hot and I don’t want my cpu hotter than 75°C and the fans ramping up and making a lot of noise. Do you guys think I can make it run cooler by disabling PBO and setting the cpu to 3.8ghz at 1.25 volts?

Solution
I’ve heard that the wraith stealth makes the cpu run hot
No. Coolers do NOT MAKE cpus run hot. Cpus run hot anyways, due to workloads. The problem is that ppl are so used to Intel, they forget that they own a Ryzen and think 'it's a cpu, so must be the same'. Wrong. Ryzens are dynamic cpus. They boost according to safe values in temp, voltage and current. If you have a Wraith Stealth, and boost to 3.7GHz, and get 80°C, adding a bigger cooler like a hyper212 does NOT lower temps. The bigger cooler has greater capacity, so the cpu boosts to 3.9GHz at 80°C instead. The only way to realistically lower temps is to provide enough cooling potential that the Ryzen hits power limits and still has cooling capacity left. Put a NH-D15S on...

adamgrant520

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
honestly, just leave it stock. JaystwoCents did a good video on this as seen below
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRfmNmnKYvs&t=276s

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRfmNmnKYvs&t=276s

This is with a gpu but many of the same things apply to a cpu too
Essentially. its physically impossible to damage hardware through heat, the 3600 will run fine on the stock cooler at full turbo, and it will be fine at 80+ degrees. hardware is DESIGNED to withstand those temperatures.

i have forgot to put cpu coolers on sometimes whilst doing testing and they will work fine during and after.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I’ve heard that the wraith stealth makes the cpu run hot
No. Coolers do NOT MAKE cpus run hot. Cpus run hot anyways, due to workloads. The problem is that ppl are so used to Intel, they forget that they own a Ryzen and think 'it's a cpu, so must be the same'. Wrong. Ryzens are dynamic cpus. They boost according to safe values in temp, voltage and current. If you have a Wraith Stealth, and boost to 3.7GHz, and get 80°C, adding a bigger cooler like a hyper212 does NOT lower temps. The bigger cooler has greater capacity, so the cpu boosts to 3.9GHz at 80°C instead. The only way to realistically lower temps is to provide enough cooling potential that the Ryzen hits power limits and still has cooling capacity left. Put a NH-D15S on the same Ryzen and it hits power limits, 4.1GHz boost and 65°C temp.
and the fans ramping up and making a lot of noise

It's a Stealth. The only way you'll keep that thing quiet is by limiting the boost speeds, that way the cpu is stopped from boosting as high or higher, and minimizing the cpu temp. You can't do much about idle ramp ups, it's in the nature of how the cpu works, you are going to get 40-60°C± spikes.

Solution

JustKun

Reputable
Jun 6, 2016
No. Coolers do NOT MAKE cpus run hot. Cpus run hot anyways, due to workloads. The problem is that ppl are so used to Intel, they forget that they own a Ryzen and think 'it's a cpu, so must be the same'. Wrong. Ryzens are dynamic cpus. They boost according to safe values in temp, voltage and current. If you have a Wraith Stealth, and boost to 3.7GHz, and get 80°C, adding a bigger cooler like a hyper212 does NOT lower temps. The bigger cooler has greater capacity, so the cpu boosts to 3.9GHz at 80°C instead. The only way to realistically lower temps is to provide enough cooling potential that the Ryzen hits power limits and still has cooling capacity left. Put a NH-D15S on the same Ryzen and it hits power limits, 4.1GHz boost and 65°C temp.

It's a Stealth. The only way you'll keep that thing quiet is by limiting the boost speeds, that way the cpu is stopped from boosting as high or higher, and minimizing the cpu temp. You can't do much about idle ramp ups, it's in the nature of how the cpu works, you are going to get 40-60°C± spikes.
Thank you! I think I’m gonna limit the boost speeds and adjust the fan curve on the cpu to try and limit noise.

JustKun

Reputable
Jun 6, 2016
Also try with negative CPU voltage offset of about 0.03-0.1v,many a BIOS sends too high voltage even when not needed.
I am currently somehow running 4.2 ghz all core at 1.25 volts. Gaming temps are around 58-65°C so I consider this a win. The stock cooler isn't too bad. I set it to go up to as high as 80% fan speed until the cpu hits 90°C and then the fan goes to a noisy 100%.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, the stock cooler isn't half bad at all. The Wraiths are the best stock coolers ever given out as stock imho. Leaps and bounds better than the noise monsters on the prior FX series, far more capable and appropriate than anything Intel has offered as far back as I can remember.

Ppl just have to remember it is a stock cooler, so will deal with stock settings just fine, once you start in on manual settings then that's where things get funky.