Help with Google Pixel 2 Data Transfer to Windows 10 PC

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I'm not sure if this is a phone problem (port), WIndows problem, cable problem, or Android problem. I have a relatively new Pixel 2 that I'm trying to connect to my machine. I've been trying to connect using a USB-A to USB-type C cable and while the phone will show up in Windows 10 as "Pixel 2" I am unable to access any files. In System>USB it says "charging" and when I select "transfer files" it disconnects from Windows, reconnects, and goes right back to charging. The cable is advertised as a data and charging cable. When I try the USB-type C to type C cable that came with the phone I can get it to set to "transfer files" only after I lock the phone and unlock with PIN (not fingerprint). This seems like some sort of Android security setting. Am I doing something wrong with the USB-A to type-C cable that is preventing it from shifting from charge only to data transfer? Other troubleshooting I've done is reset the phone (didn't work) and enable USB debugging in developer options (also didn't work). Before I bring the phone into the store to see if it is defective, what else should I try? Could it be that cable is USB 2.0 and I need 3.0?

Solution
I figured I'd share a quick update. I decided to try a Anker USB-C to USB-A (USB 3.1 Gen 2) and it worked with the hub. I didn't try and copy a bunch of files but I can access the contents of the phone now.
USB C ports in my experience tend to collect a lot of pocket lent and such and then the cables don't fully seat causing problems. Only my Nexus / OnePlus devices I typically use a small needle to carefully clean the ports out. Going around the outer edge of the connector.

Next, I know I've have very little luck reliably transferring files from my devices over a hub. I can usually transfer a few, but larger transfers always fail. If I'm transfering many files the cable has to be plugged directly into the PC.

I use a A-C cable all the time. Most of my cables are the TechMatte brand, USB C being the one case I don't care for Anker cables.

With USB debugging enabled your phone will display a prompt asking you to authorize that PC. Did you do this?

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Well, the good news is that your experience with hubs may be the culprit...I'm not sure why. I just got it to work using the last port on the back of my machine, but that will be very inconvenient...have to crawl around to the back of it or leave a cable there. Fortunately, I don't think I'll need to plug it in often. Do you know what causes this issue, and if there is a solution to be able to use the hub? My previous phone was a HTC One M8 and it worked just fine with the hub.

Is your hub powered? Always use a powered hub (these will work better). I've yet to find a good reliable hub. I'm currently using a Anker USB 3.0 hub, but it can't handle data transfers that are more than a few files. Even even when using ADB. I've find any even with hard drives I get random file corruption over hubs that most people don't notice if you actually look into it. For data I care about, I always use the PC ports directly.

I have this problem with multiple devices, Nexus tablets / phones, Huawei phones, Samsung tablets / phones, OnePlus phones. I haven't owned an HTC but so far everything I have, has had this same problem.

It is annoying. I've posted on here several times looking for a reliable hub, never got a response. This is why I don't like that motherboards are coming with fewer USB ports on them these days.

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Exactly my opinion. I also have an Anker powered hub. It worked well for everything except for this phone. The other powered hub I tried is by HooToo and it worked for most devices as well. Like you said, I wouldn't need a hub if PC motherboards and laptops had more. Out of curiosity, have you looked into different hub drivers? I never found that Anker actually developed any...I plug it in and rely on "Generic USB" hub drivers in Windows.

I use Linux 99% of the time, but my problem happens in Linux, Windows 7 and Windows 10, and I have three Anker hubs, and three D-link hubs. Doesn't seem to matter if I use MTP or ADB to transfer the files. I can move over a few pictures, but say if I try and copy my entire TitaniumBackup folder, it will fail at some point during the transfer unless its plugged into the PC. It can even be plugged into a front port and be OK. Since the problem doesn't seem to be OS dependent, I'm confident it's the hub.

I've been tempted to take one apart, and see if there is anything in there that gets abnormally warm, perhaps there is something I could add a small heatsink to, to make it more reliable? Trying to think outside the box. As I've already had one Anker hub fail that I use regularly.

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I figured I'd share a quick update. I decided to try a Anker USB-C to USB-A (USB 3.1 Gen 2) and it worked with the hub. I didn't try and copy a bunch of files but I can access the contents of the phone now.

Solution