Help with graphic card conection

Solution
Yeah, that PSU has 444w on the +12v rails. Both the HD5850 and the GTX 460 max out around 150w under stress testing so there will be more than enough power for the rest of the system even if you give the card a high overclock. If you want a PSU that is capable of SLI/crossfire for those cards I believe the 650w is $10 more.
A psu with only 8 pin connectors sounds rather odd. Exactly what brand/model is it? Are you sure they aren't 6+2 connectors that can double as both? Like so;
nzwgK.jpg

That power supply you linked is not modular so it is basically impossible for you to have thrown out the cables... are you sure that is your PSU?
FYI the video card you linked comes with 2 molex to 6-pin PCI-E adapters. At very least you should be able to use those.

Dyjon54

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Well I can hook it up With the Molex connections, but I thought the Card had to be hooked up the the power supply PCI express 6 pin slots. When I hooked it up through the Molex the card was on but the screen was going blank after windows 7 booted up. I'm guessing the card is not getting enough power. Doesn't it need to be hooked up to the PCI express 6+2 pin?? Or maybe it is just a bad video card.

Dyjon54

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
It could be the drivers for the card as well. The card was working fine until i UPDATED THE DRIVERS. And now black screen right after windows boots up. think I may return the card and get nvidia if this continues I guess

Dyjon54

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Well I think I may just return the card anyone know a fix for this? If not I will just buy an nvidia card I did some research and it seems other people are having the same problem.

Both of the 6-pin power connectors on the card need to be connected to the PSU. It doesn't matter if it is with a 6 pin cable, the 6 pin part of the 6 + 2 cable or to a molex using the adapters included with the card. You really shouldn't have to use the adapters as your PSU has the proper cables. If it doesn't then the PSU you linked is not your PSU. In that case look at the chart on the side of the unit and tell us the brand and model number.

Dyjon54

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
its Modular. I can find out the exact model number. I just know that the PCI express 8 pin slot is empty. and I have 2 of them on my power supply. I thought I was suppose to hook the 6 pin to my 8 pin on my power supply. Thats why I was looking for an adapter. I think the other 6 pins I have are being used for something else. Mother Board or fans.

No. The only place the 6 or 6+2 pin PSU connectors can be used is to provide 12 volt power to the video card.

If you manage to stuff a PCIe power plug into the CPU socket, you will short 12 volts directly to ground.

If your PSU is insufficient for the card then nothing will help other than a new PSU. If it can handle the card then the molex adapters should work. Alternately you may be able to contact the manufacturer of your PSU for replacement cables.