Help with Graphics card plz

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SeVeN MG

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Hello i dont know much about computers an thought id try this, i just got starcraft 2 an it said my graphics card wasnt good so i had to run everything on low settings which sucks haha anyway i wanna buy a new one! but i have no clue what will fit what kinda are good or anything... so imma give you my specs an fill me in what i can do... i think i wouldnt wanna spend anymore than 200-300 or so

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer HP-Pavilion
Model NC757AA-ABA a6757c
Total amount of system memory 7.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4
AMD Phenom(tm) 9159e Quad-Core Processor 1.80 GHZ

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 596 GB
Disk partition (C:) 391 GB Free (583 GB Total)
Disk partition (D:) 2 GB Free (13 GB Total)
Media drive (E:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Total available graphics memory 2159 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 128 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 2031 MB
Display adapter driver version 7.15.11.7574
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1200
DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better

Network

Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet
Network Adapter USB Wireless 802.11 b/g Adaptor
Network Adapter Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter

Indeed you can. It's always better to build your own. On top of saving money you can target the exact components that will do what you want and of a brand that is reliable rather than the random junk power supplies and gimped motherboards they throw in prebuilt systems.
A plus for you in particular is that it will be a learning experience. Take away some of the mystery behind computers and give you more confidence in dealing with them.
If you do want to leave the old system working then the only thing left out that I haven't mentioned is a DVD burner but they are just $20. Here is one in a combo that will let you get a better PSU that is modular(means you can unplug the cables you aren't using for a less cluttered case) for the same price as the other one I linked;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.466465
Actually you don't need a burner for the old system to stay working so really it is optional but nice to have.

Oh yeah, in case you didn't realize it to leave the old system functional you shouldn't remove ALL of the ram. Your system has 7 gigs which is really very odd. They almost always come with an even number. Anyway 4gb is more than enough for a normal person. More than that isn't useful except for specific purposes like music production or video editing or animation rendering.

Martin 71

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010

he was talking to the op... he just quoted you to let you know that the cpu was in fact quite bad