Question Help with Graphics Card (Strix R7 370 2GB)

BlackSlah17SVK

Honorable
Aug 15, 2016
Hello, my sister's graphic's card probably bricked, at least that's what i think happened.
The card is 3 years old, cleaned from dust from time to time, but never taken apart and repasted or extensively cleaned.
My sister was playing some old game so i dont believe card was under some ultra heavy load when all of the sudden she got black screaned and since then the PC displayed nothing but black screen, I disabled the GPU in safe mode and PC started up normaly(of course PC not using gpu), if the gpu is to be reenabled black screen happens.
So I had the idea it was something with drivers so i uninstalled the gpu and installed older driver. The gpu worked for few minutes, and me thinking i fixed i started up a game to load test it, almost immediately the gpu crashed back to black screen.
I also tried to unmount and mount the gpu from PC in case it would be in mobo connection.
I asked my friend about it and he said that if the HDMI port is still displaying(which it is because the CPU doesn't have intergrated graphics and HDMI is pluged in gpu), it means it's not bricked because technically it is working.
So if you have any sollutions or ideas on what to try i would appreciate it.
If you would need any other info or questions i will try to cooperate as much as possible.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Try the card in your friend's computer (or any other machine). That will let you get an idea if the issue is the card or the motherboard. Likewise, try his GPU in your board for a reverse test. You should first be 100% sure where the problem lies before troubleshooting.

BlackSlah17SVK

Honorable
Aug 15, 2016
Try the card in your friend's computer (or any other machine). That will let you get an idea if the issue is the card or the motherboard. Likewise, try his GPU in your board for a reverse test. You should first be 100% sure where the problem lies before troubleshooting.
Ok, so I tried the r7 in my PC, and as soon as I started intalling radeon with graphics drivers the pc restarted after a while and when it was booting up the motherboard got me the message diagnosing your PC and then the windows told me that the PC couldn't start properly and a restart might fix it, so i restarted few more times with the same thing happening. Then i did the same as before (safe mode, uninstalled card, windows started normaly, still displayin through the gpus hdmi).
Unfortunatelly i can't test my gtx 1070 in sister's mobo because the card won't fit in her case.
So in conclusion i have no idea, the fact that my pc didnt get black screens but windows just wouldnt boot properly is something different to my sister's pc and doesnt give me a hint to where is the problem. I mean i would say its in the gpu, but not sure if it is mechanical failure or software or both.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If I understand your explanation correctly, it does indeed sound like the card is defective. In your machine it has problems too (although not exactly the same). But your machine works otherwise.
Time for her to get a new card. Anyone you/she knows that will let her test their card in her machine? One that is short enough to fit.

TRENDING THREADS