Question Help with graphics card suddenly dying?

jlmiller1010

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
Ok, I’ve had my custom built PC for a couple years now (2-3 years). I turned it on today to do some gaming and got about 30 minutes into playing when my pc just turns off suddenly. No warnings, no errors, no stuttering or flickering, nothing. Just instantly turns off as if it came unplugged or something. I tried to turn it back on but got no response. Oddly, my gaming headset and phone plugged into usb was still on/charging till I unplugged and plugged them back in.

If I flipped the power switch to the PSU off and back on, then press the power button on the pc, it would get a jolt of power to make the cpu fan jerk and then nothing after that.

per online advice I started to remove components one by one and seeing if it would turn on without them. When I removed my GPU the PC started up just fine. When I plugged the gpu back in my PC would once again not turn on and again works fine once gpu is removed again.

Is this pretty cut and dry GPU problem? Is it normal for GPUs to just die so suddenly and give these issues? Perhaps it’s just my ignorance but I would expect declining performance or error messages.. not completely and suddenly bricking the whole PC. If anyone with more knowledge on this could chime in I would greatly appreciate it.

System specs:
Motherboard: MSI Z170A Sli Plus
Graphics card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970
Memory: 2 x 8gb G.skill Ripjaws
CPU: Intel i5 6600k
PSU: EVGA supernova 850w bronze

jlmiller1010

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
Try using another PCIE x16 or even x8. Maybe it's not the GPU, it's the slot. Did you try reseting Bios?
I did try a different slot. It didn’t help though unfortunately. Still wouldn’t turn on with gpu installed.

I haven’t done anything with the bios, I’ll give that a try. I haven’t messed with them at all since I’ve had the pc though, so they should be all default settings.