Question HELP WITH GRAPHICS CARD UPDATE

Mar 18, 2019
Hello,
I am looking to upgrade my cpu graphics card. I currently have the following setup. Looking to get a higher performance graphics card. DO you guys think I can just switch one for one and it will run fast. Or do you think I need to switch some other components as well? See attached.,

INTEL I7
TWO HARD DRIVES: SSD 1TB, 168GB
RADEON HD 5760
WINDOWS 10, 3.4GHZ
16GB RAM

Mar 18, 2019
Thanks, as soon as I posted that I realized I left off the PSU... looking at it now. Will post again with specs. May buy a new one with the card. Just want to make sure I have enough power

Yeah, a GT 1030 is quite low-end as far as current cards go. An RX 570 should offer at least around three times the performance, making it a much better value as far as cost for performance goes, so it's probably worth paying a bit more for one of those. An RX 570 should be able to run most recent games at high settings pretty well at 1080p, while a GT 1030 would struggle in many recent titles even with low settings at that resolution.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/overall-list/#sort=price&c=392

Did you ever find out what model of PSU you have? It typically says on the side of the unit if you open up your PC case.

Also, how much were you considering spending on the upgrade?

Mar 18, 2019
Yeah, a GT 1030 is quite low-end as far as current cards go. An RX 570 should offer at least around three times the performance, making it a much better value as far as cost for performance goes, so it's probably worth paying a bit more for one of those. An RX 570 should be able to run most recent games at high settings pretty well at 1080p, while a GT 1030 would struggle in many recent titles even with low settings at that resolution.

Did you ever find out what model of PSU you have? It typically says on the side of the unit if you open up your PC case.

Finally opened it up! I have a Cooler Master 500. (rs-500-pcar)

Mar 18, 2019

Mar 18, 2019
Depending on which "i7" CPU you have, a new gfx card will definitely help. But if it is a 3.4 GHz i7, chances are it is a relatively late model and should support almost any gfx card... depending on what PSU you have (make/model).

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yup, time to upgrade that power supply, which is extremely low quality and known to go out of ATX spec. ATX specs are so loose that even most garbage PSUs these days tend to meet the minimums. I would not run any new discrete GPU with this PSU.

Mar 18, 2019
Update! update! Update!

Upgraded the computer. Found a RX 570 on craigslist. Got a smoking deal on a 750 W power supply from a Goodwill store… LOL! We’re playing Apex legend on all high settings… sooooooo smoooooth!!!🔥🔥🔥 My son freaked out when we played our first game! Night and day! Thank you all for the suggestions. Thinking about upgrading to a bigger case, cable management looks nasty… LOL!

Reactions: King_V
Mar 18, 2019
Lol! I know I know! But I did my research. It was a corsair hx750. Picked it up for $40, used. I think they sell for about $100 new. Once again, not too savvy so hopefully I made a good purchase.

Mar 18, 2019
Haha, yeah, not exactly a place I'd go looking for good quality PC hardware.

I know! We live in orange county California. They have a Goodwill store that actually has five stores all together. One of them is an electronics store. They sell Everything from graphics cards two power supplies. I must’ve sat in that store for 45 minutes researching and looking on YouTube as I shopped.

Nice find! HX is high end. Corsair warranty is 7 years on those units. I have the HX750i for 4 years and no problems at all. It even survived a short circuit and melted wires inside my PC :homer:

Makes me want to find out if there's a Goodwill store in my area!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Lol! I know I know! But I did my research. It was a corsair hx750. Picked it up for $40, used. I think they sell for about $100 new. Once again, not too savvy so hopefully I made a good purchase.

I'd be suspicious of any used power supply, but in a general sense, that price does factor in your risk to an extent. I'm shocked you found something that good there, when I saw "750W power supply from Goodwill," I expected something far, far more sinister.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I know! We live in orange county California. They have a Goodwill store that actually has five stores all together. One of them is an electronics store. They sell Everything from graphics cards two power supplies. I must’ve sat in that store for 45 minutes researching and looking on YouTube as I shopped.
You got a nice deal on that PSU. Should be all the PSU you'll ever need if it is in good condition. I'm still using a used Corsair TX 650 modular PSU I picked up in similar fashion. It's been strong for years in one of my older machines.

Hey, how's the weather there in Orange County? Got to be better than here by the Great lakes. :D
My son lives in Orange County too.