Help with graphics card ?

lolable321

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Hello, i have a nvidia gt 130 graphic card. 1.5 gb dedicated memory. However, it play games lousily. GTA IV, around 856 mb / 1.5 gb memory used only and i am lagging like hell. Can only play gta iv at 1200 x 800... My screen is 1920 x 1080 though. Also, low fps on other games also. Got all drivers updated at nvidia site. This is bad D= Help? Thanks.

The GT130 isnt very strong, to play at 1920x1080 smoothly you would need something like a GTX260 or a 4870. Not sure why they made a GT130 with 1.5GB, the GPU is far from strong enough to fill even half of that.

Indeed, check what PSU you have as that determines the level of upgrade you can get. Rarely are there any charts that go low enough to show the GT 130, that should tell you something. I just found specs for it, a GTS 150 is the same as a GTS 250, and a GTS 150 is almost 4 times stronger than a GT130, an HD 4870 or GTX 260 would be an amazing improvement. If you dont have a good PSU, a 5770 is a low power card that performs similarly to the 4870 in DX10 games and will outperform it in DX11 capable games.

lolable321

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Hello, so what do i do now?

Acer lied. They say its a gaming computer. >.>

Anyway, i thought it was RAM problem so i already added more ram. So it's not lol.

Currently have 8 gb RAM now....

So what do i do now?

I should buy a new graphic card?

What card is best?

ATI or Nvidia...

Have bad thoughts about NVIDIA now.

But i heard nvidia has 3D...

Is Nvidia GTX 295 good? But its not DDR5. I heard that ATI has DDR5. Should i wait for DDR5 nvida one?

Thanks.

shubham1401

Distinguished
GTX 295 is very overpriced card..Don't think of buying it.
Its would be better to get a ATI Radeon HD5850/5870. Those are DDR5 cards...

They perform slightly lesser than 295 but costs significantly less...

How much are you willing to spend?
And one more thing needs to be checked for a GPU upgrade.
That is power supply...
Tell us which PSU you have?

lolable321

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Erm, what is a PSU?

Erm, is 8 gb ram enough?

I really want a good graphic card.

But i heard that nvidia is better than ATI... soo...any advice from more people?

Thanks

shubham1401

Distinguished
"Erm, what is a PSU? "

Google It!

In short:It provides power to the components of a PC.

A Good 550W PSU is required to run top end GFX cards...

"Erm, is 8 gb ram enough?"]
It is more than enough.
Even 4GB is enough...

mgyung

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
What size power suppy do you have? That's the question.

With the new graphix cards you will most likely need to upgrade the power supply. I would think that you would need upto 500 watts depending on what direction you take with your new video card. The easiest way to find out the size of your power supply would be to open the case and inspect the square thing that you plug your power cord into. Look for a three digit number with a W behind it. Most of the times it's imbedded in the part number so it's not always obvious. I would expect that you'd have something like a 300~350 watt PSU based on the limited description of your computer.

When it comes to video cards Nvidia verse ATI is the age old Honda verse Toyota debate. I currently bought an ATI 4850 and I can't get the HDMI to work properly due to scaling problems with ATI. It workd fine with VGA and DVI but since I'm building a media computer I need the HDMI to work.

In response I bought a Geforce 9800 GT to swap out and compare.

I bought the cards based on price, both around $120, and fanless. Also they both have native HDMI and DVI support. We'll see what happens, right now I'm mixed with the ATI & Nvidia debate.

lolable321

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009

If you need more description...errr....

http://www.acer.com.sg/acer/product.do?link=oln85e.redirect&changedAlts=&kcond48e.c2att101=-1&CRC=2759084358#wrAjaxHistory=0

Then click on Acer M7720 --> Under Aspire Gaming

Same computer as that but i added more Ram, so mine is 8 gb ram and have 750 gb space.

Configurations :

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium , 64-Bit, Intel Core i7-920 processor (2.66GHz, 8MB Cache, 4.8GT/s), 8GB DDR III Ram, 750GB S-ATA HDD, DVD SuperMulti Double-Layer Drive with Labelflash technology, Nvidia GeForce GT130 Graphics Card (1.5GB Dedicated RAM), Wireless 802.11b/g/Draft-N LAN, Wireless Keyboard and Mouse, With 23" LCD Monitor.

Technical Specifications :

Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium

Processor Intel® Core™ i7 processor with Intel® X58 chipset chipset

System Memory Supports DDRIII 1333 up to a maximum of 12GB (three-channel support on six DIMMs)

Graphics PCI Express 16x Graphics expansion slot offering a choice of approved ATI or nVidia graphic cards.

Audio High Definition (7.1) Optimized Dolby® Home Theater® audio enhancement, featuring Dolby® Digital, Dolby® Pro Logic® II, Dolby® Headphone, Dolby® Virtual Speaker, and Dolby® Digital Live technologies

I/O Interface Media Control Interface for full media playback function
Multi-in-1 memory card reader for Sony® Memory Stick, Memory Stick PROTM, CompactFlashTM Type I, CompactFlashTM Type II, SmartMedia (SM), Secure Digital (SD), MultiMediaCard (MMC) and xD Card. (plus 2 x USB port in front)
Audio connections: Six audio jacks 7.1 channel support (rear), Lin Out - MIC In (front)
10/100/1000 Network Connection
2 USB 2.0 ports in front and 6 USB 2.0 ports in back
PS2/USB Keyboard port, PS2/USB Optical/Ball Mouse port.
1 Firewire IEEE 1394 port

Hard Drives Up to 2 internal ATA hard disks of 1TB each
Up to 2 front access ATA hard disks of 1TB each

Optical Devices SuperMulti DVD RW with Labelflash™ technology

Expansion Slots 1 x 4XPCI, 1 x 1X PCIE, 2 x 16X PCIE

Housing Dimension 180(W) x 441.5(D) x 367(H)

Software Microsoft® Office Trial 2007 (60D), Microsoft® Works 8.5, Adobe® Reader® 7.0, McAfee Internet Security Suite 2008 (60-day trial), Acer Arcade Live, Acer Empowering Technology, eSobi™, Acer Gamezone, NTI Media Maker

EMI / Safety CE, FCC, BSMI, CCC, ETL, Nemko

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't open my computer. Even though its mine...

I don't know how to do that. My father bought it for me....

Any other way?

I am afraid i will spoil it if i open it.

Thanks.